Chain doesn’t fit bar sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not embarrassed…

Like I said, has been done many a time and I have been known to do it myself (many times).
When I was younger- .404 was much more commonly in use, even little ugly Stihl 08S's ran .404 chain- nowadays not so much and when you see a bar marked in the traditional way in the usual place- you take for granted what the bar says to be true.
For what it is worth, leave that tip on and get a .404 chain and driver for it- that saw should go good with that combo.

Well, yes and no.
In the ideal world where everyone buys new bars or very little use secondhand ones- well yes- but plenty of folk have run 0.058 drivers in between well worn 0.050 rails, or 0.063 in well worn 0.058 ones.
Most replaceable bar tips are 0.063 gauge and fit any gauge bar from 0.050 up.

This is not uncommon, in the secondhand market to find bars marked by the tail as 3/8 bars that have had new .404 tips put on them and the resale problems occur when the seller is unaware what they have- or simply neglect to add the fact to the advertisement that the nose sprocket has been changed to a different pitch.
I have a bar here somewhere tail marked as a .404 that has a .325 nose sprocket on it. But I also have several 3/8 bars I have swapped out the nose sprockets for .404 and is why I noticed it straight away when I saw the original photo.
Pyssed me off more when you buy a bar marked D009 and someone has hacked it out to 10mm for the older Jonsereds- or to D025 spec. :lol:
Help me out. Your very long message, went from for, to against, I think. Regardless, taking a worn out beyond spec safe use guide bar, and loading it with a wider driver? You would still be buying chains regardless of the dumpster diving at the local Mower Shop......the chain is what does the work.

At this point, I'd surely appreciate any guide bar makers comments. Isn't "laminated bar" a reference to mean the worn out bar could come apart?
Where does that wider driver chain go? with a 10,000 rpm oiled-up fling?

.........NIB bars are getting cheaper by the day. I oft wonder if the Guy who buys the chain making tools, and a 25' reel, makes out.?? The tools don't go bad, and reels of chain seem to be on the heels of guide bars.....

Hope you score a pair of worn out brake rotors......thats where the real cheddar is.

Help me out. Your very long message, went from for, to against, I think. Regardless, taking a worn out beyond spec safe use guide bar, and loading it with a wider driver? You would still be buying chains regardless of the dumpster diving at the local Mower Shop......the chain is what does the work.

At this point, I'd surely appreciate any guide bar makers comments. Isn't "laminated bar" a reference to mean the worn out bar could come apart?
Where does that wider driver chain go? with a 10,000 rpm oiled-up fling?

.........NIB bars are getting cheaper by the day. I oft wonder if the Guy who buys the chain making tools, and a 25' reel, makes out.?? The tools don't go bad, and reels of chain seem to be on the heels of guide bars.....

Hope you score a pair of worn out brake rotors......thats where the real cheddar is.

You have some bad days and some worse days Brucie, but never often a good day.
Google up some bar prices where I live and you will see why folk might not jump on the latest special from some big bulk store for the latest Asian made laminated rubbish.
Having said that though, lots of folk that live in your 48 State neighbourhood have recommended the use of larger gauge chain in somewhat worn rails within the very pages of this forum.
Nothing new in what I typed- not reinventing the wheel, nor the brake rotor.

Latest posts

Back