Chain doesn’t fit bar sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscardawg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 32” Total bar for my Jonsered 820. Today I made up a chain for it, and it doesn’t fit correctly around the sprocket at the end of the bar. Basically the sprocket teeth don’t fit between the drive links.

The bar is marked 63 - 3/8 - 105E, and my old 20” Total Bar is marked 58 - 3/8 - 70E.

Through this I realized that I won’t be able to use my 3/8 - 0.058 gauge chains, but will purchasing a 0.063 fix my problem?

Attachments

• AC787360-2289-4BAF-A48C-000468615CBB.jpeg
    AC787360-2289-4BAF-A48C-000468615CBB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
I recently purchased a 32” Total bar for my Jonsered 820. Today I made up a chain for it, and it doesn’t fit correctly around the sprocket at the end of the bar. Basically the sprocket teeth don’t fit between the drive links.

The bar is marked 63 - 3/8 - 105E, and my old 20” Total Bar is marked 58 - 3/8 - 70E.

Through this I realized that I won’t be able to use my 3/8 - 0.058 gauge chains, but will purchasing a 0.063 fix my problem?
A thinner chain will fit in a wider guage tip? It should have a marking on the tip?

Dummy version here... He bought a (presumably used) 3/8 bar, but his 3/8 chain doesn't fit... reason being someone replaced the sprocket nose with a .404 sprocket nose at some point before he got the bar. That correct?

If so: Solution is replace with a 3/8" nose or switch to .404 chain and use it as is? Would switching to .404 chain require changing out his saws sprocket as well?

Dummy version here... He bought a (presumably used) 3/8 bar, but his 3/8 chain doesn't fit... reason being someone replaced the sprocket nose with a .404 sprocket nose at some point before he got the bar. That correct?

If so: Solution is replace with a 3/8" nose or switch to .404 chain and use it as is? Would switching to .404 chain require changing out his saws sprocket as well?
yes to the nose sprocket change and also yes to both sprockets need to be the same pitch.

And the bar groove and drivers.

Well, yes and no.
In the ideal world where everyone buys new bars or very little use secondhand ones- well yes- but plenty of folk have run 0.058 drivers in between well worn 0.050 rails, or 0.063 in well worn 0.058 ones.
Most replaceable bar tips are 0.063 gauge and fit any gauge bar from 0.050 up.

This is not uncommon, in the secondhand market to find bars marked by the tail as 3/8 bars that have had new .404 tips put on them and the resale problems occur when the seller is unaware what they have- or simply neglect to add the fact to the advertisement that the nose sprocket has been changed to a different pitch.
I have a bar here somewhere tail marked as a .404 that has a .325 nose sprocket on it. But I also have several 3/8 bars I have swapped out the nose sprockets for .404 and is why I noticed it straight away when I saw the original photo.
Pyssed me off more when you buy a bar marked D009 and someone has hacked it out to 10mm for the older Jonsereds- or to D025 spec. :lol:

Bar can be marked whatever- but it looks like the replaceable sprocket tip has less wear on it that the bar- what is stamped on the tip sprocket- can you see .404 on it anywhere?
You were right, tip was marked 404….

Latest posts

Back