ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Central Boiler Cast iron Door has cracked. Need some help.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
It looked to me like the bolts had a taper shoulder to seat, I guess to help torque and shear the head and spread the load. On something like your stove door, I would probably try some soft bolts and cutting the head off with a zip wheel. If the bolts are spaced so that when the second round of bolts over lapped each other I would think they would lock together. On something critical, like a engine block or head that might seep water, I might try to buy the lock n stitch bolts. It seems the only place you can get the bolts is thru the company. I haven't found any pricing, just the old fill out a form for information ploy that discourages me from even trying the product. Just a thought, if you had some machine screws with the tapered head, You might try counter boreing the hole and screwing the screws in leaving them set high so you could grind off the screw driver slot.

For your cracked door, I probably wouldn't go to that much trouble, but it would be nice to know how well it might work.

milkie62

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Just my 2 cents - I wouldn't spend over 300 on a door for a 17 year old boiler, the days have to me numbered on that unit. Try to weld it, nothing to lose. JB weld also makes a thermal high heat product, years ago I used their regular stuff to fix a cracked block on a Briggs.
My CL40 is 24 yrs old. I would gladly spend $300 to have a new door compared to the price of new boilers. Even though mine is not as efficient as the newer ones, the "set-it-and-forget-it" is a lot more appealing to me than the amount of work it is in maintenance on the new ones. I finally sprung a leak at the end of last season and had it welded and back in business again. I will gladly tear mine apart and have my welder/boiler guy rebuild mine.