Chain saw with forced induction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay guys, my cousins kid , Christopher, has a bit of time on his hands and isn't afraid to try new things.

Here are two vids that he took. The sound quality is poor....but you get the idea.

What do you think?

1<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEohzpMKswg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEohzpMKswg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here is the saw cutting. He says the chain could be better.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8avKeSSvl4A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8avKeSSvl4A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He put a computer fan on a Wild Thing?? Hmmm, it seems to work. I have a miniature squirrel cage blower... 115 volts though. I know, I'll use an extension cord. Seriously, that little blower put out a #### ton of air. Thanks for inspiring me! I will have to find a donor saw to use as a guinea pig for my project. :D Make sure you make a better video of it cutting wood with a real good chain on it.

Rep sent.

At least he is thinking...most young kids just want to play video games....I am wondering about a turbo charger

tell him to take the "throttle" off of one of the lil electric dirtbike or scooters, that way as you throttle the saw you can step up the speed of the motor. how does he vary the speed of the fan, you don't want it to blow full speed at idle. I was thinking like a leaf blower on a 4 stroke go-kart this summer. But seriously make sure that kid stays in school he'll make a great engineer one day.:hmm3grin2orange:

He's not the ordinary run of the mill 18 year old!

He put a computer fan on a Wild Thing?? Hmmm, it seems to work. I have a miniature squirrel cage blower... 115 volts though. I know, I'll use an extension cord. Seriously, that little blower put out a #### ton of air. Thanks for inspiring me! I will have to find a donor saw to use as a guinea pig for my project. :D Make sure you make a better video of it cutting wood with a real good chain on it.

Rep sent.

Well, it was a lift fan off of a remote control hovercraft. He put a more powerful motor in it. I've already asked for a vid w/o the fan and with a better chain.

Thanks for the REP!

At least he is thinking...most young kids just want to play video games....I am wondering about a turbo charger

You got that right! He plays his share of games too... but he'd rather be having fun with mechanical items! He and his older brother come over and help me "play" in the woods cutting fire wood. We also rebuilt a crank shaft on one of his 2 stroke dirt bikes. You know the ones that "can't be rebuilt". It helps that I have access to a huge press and have a lathe to true it up on.

tell him to take the "throttle" off of one of the lil electric dirtbike or scooters, that way as you throttle the saw you can step up the speed of the motor. how does he vary the speed of the fan, you don't want it to blow full speed at idle. I was thinking like a leaf blower on a 4 stroke go-kart this summer. But seriously make sure that kid stays in school he'll make a great engineer one day.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm working on him! Who do you think that he got the saws from? I'll do anything to encourage him in his efforts! He'll be reading this thread. I've told him that he'll make a great ME! I have a friend that's a ME. I'm trying to get Chris to shadow a ME for a day. I just don't want him to sell himself short!

I love video games! Whats the big deal? Everyone R&R's, just what i do when i relax.

I dont think a turbo would ever work on a chainsaw, supercharger would be ALOT easier...

Well, it was a lift fan off of a remote control hovercraft. He put a more powerful motor in it. I've already asked for a vid w/o the fan and with a better chain.

Thanks for the REP!

You got that right! He plays his share of games too... but he'd rather be having fun with mechanical items! He and his older brother come over and help me "play" in the woods cutting fire wood. We also rebuilt a crank shaft on one of his 2 stroke dirt bikes. You know the ones that "can't be rebuilt". It helps that I have access to a huge press and have a lathe to true it up on.

I'm working on him! Who do you think that he got the saws from? I'll do anything to encourage him in his efforts! He'll be reading this thread. I've told him that he'll make a great ME! I have a friend that's a ME. I'm trying to get Chris to shadow a ME for a day. I just don't want him to sell himself short!

Good for you, for taking him under your wing. Since my Dad lives in Illinois i would only see him once a year when i was younger. It was pretty hard on me but alot of "older" guys took me under their wing to keep me out of trouble. Heck one of them is like a Dad to me he has helped me out in so many ways. One day i hope to repay all of them. Your doing those kids a favor in so many ways. God Bless You.

the first movie was with the first set of wires i put on the fan..... due to the different motor the current draw was to much for the wires i installed the first time around. so i had to change out the wires to a set of 12 gauge stranded copper wires. i also added in a micro switch on the handle so i can cut the fan in and out when i want it/ need it.
there are still a few minor air leaks in between the air box and mouth of the carb so i am filling those and sense the second movie i have modded the muffler too.

I love video games! Whats the big deal? Everyone R&R's, just what i do when i relax.

I dont think a turbo would ever work on a chainsaw, supercharger would be ALOT easier...

I dont care for them. My son has a few systems...I just think they are a waste of time. To each there own. He does read alot so I cut him some slack. He works 2 jobs, 3 days a week after school at a shop my buddy owns and 2 days a week teaching Karate. He got his blackbelt at 13. He should have his Eagle scout in about 12 months. There is school too. He is a good boy and I am very proud.

I still wish he would put the games away. Get outside and enjoy the outdoors with his old man.

would love to see a turbo on a chainsaw but it has alot of drawbacks to overcome like oiling and intake cooling, maybe a brushless motor on some sort of blower might give you some boost with electric, they can turn alot of rpm and handle some load.
kinda surprised I havent seen someone hook nitrous up to one while it probably wouldnt live very long.

Very neat project. More inventive than the stuff you see everyday.

Mr. HE:cool:

would love to see a turbo on a chainsaw but it has alot of drawbacks to overcome like oiling and intake cooling, maybe a brushless motor on some sort of blower might give you some boost with electric, they can turn alot of rpm and handle some load.
kinda surprised I havent seen someone hook nitrous up to one while it probably wouldnt live very long.

the motor that is on there is already pulling 8 amps at 7.2 volts
it is a double mod 370-E race motor for a 16th scale rc truck
there are very few brushless motors that can out perform that motor for torque
don't they make ball bearing turbos?? those don't need oil systems

the first movie was with the first set of wires i put on the fan..... due to the different motor the current draw was to much for the wires i installed the first time around. so i had to change out the wires to a set of 12 gauge stranded copper wires. i also added in a micro switch on the handle so i can cut the fan in and out when i want it/ need it.
there are still a few minor air leaks in between the air box and mouth of the carb so i am filling those and sense the second movie i have modded the muffler too.

:clap::clap::clap:

That's Just sick and twisted!!!
I like it!:D

Have manyhobbies tune ya up on the chain filing, and be mindfull when running the saw..they make ugly scars.

Keep at it Kid, and don't let any of the "Ekspurts" or know it alls tell ya that you "Can't".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:clap::clap::clap:

That's Just sick and twisted!!!
I like it!:D
Have manyhobbies tune ya up on the chain filing, and be mindfull when running the saw..they make ugly scars.

Keep at it Kid, and don't let any of the "Ekspurts" or know it alls tell ya that you "Can't".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks Dingeryote

He respects saws for what they can do for you and to you! Yes I'll help him with getting that chain sharp......who knows...maybe it's as sharp as anyone can get it!

The turbocharger idea isn't too far fetched. They are in use in aftermarket form on two strokes from quads like Banshees to radio controlled cars. Rather spendy though...

Most turbos are essentially 'oil cooled'. The oil runs through the internal galleries and bearings and flushes the heat out that is being conducted through the shaft from the exhaust side. Water cooling is used on many turbos to help keep it cool, but the water doesn't extend into the bearing area. That is why you want to let a turbo cool down after a hard run as the heat will still be conducting from the exducer through the shaft into the internals (it will coke up the bearings).

Neat idea on the fan. I tried to 'ram charge' a Honda 50 when I was 16 (I'm 63 now). It worked, but only after I figured out that I had to move the float bowl vent into where the rammed air was. Initially, the extra air pressure in the carb venturi leaned out the fuel mixture. Good luck

flywheel fan

why dont they modify the flywheel cooling fan so a divided or split housing pushes filtered air into the carby , it would not need to be that large and the boost would increase with revs and a spring loaded flap could limit boost to a reasonable pressure , even a few pounds of boost should give a large increase in torque . is it too hard to seal a separate fan :confused:

the motor that is on there is already pulling 8 amps at 7.2 volts
it is a double mod 370-E race motor for a 16th scale rc truck
there are very few brushless motors that can out perform that motor for torque
don't they make ball bearing turbos?? those don't need oil systems

im not sure about turbo's but the supercharger i put on my uncles stang has a self contained oil system. I wonder if you could put a linear switch on there so has the throttle increases you can step up the voltage so the blower speed increases. GOOD LUCK ps my father has his masters in engineering and he would love the "thinking" you are doing!

Back