This weekends' pick up - Bolens 5500.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
A friend called yesterday, his neighbor had a big old chainsaw he was looking to get rid of. He figured (correctly) that I might be interested.

After a bit of negotiation, and some BSing, I came home with a 5500 Bolens. From Acres' site, it's got a 106cc West Bend under the hood. Somebody put an el cheapo paint job on it at some point, and hand painted "Bolens" on it, but I can overlook that.

The chain is beyond junk, whatever it used to have for an air filter is long gone, as is the muffler deflector. Other than that, it's complete.

Model Profile: 5500 SERIES

attachment.php

attachment.php

Danged if it didn't run after a bit of fresh gas and a couple pulls of the rope! I tried to cut a little, but like I said, the chain is J-U-N-K. Gonna have to hunt down a better chain. It looks like .404, though I haven't measured it yet. Acres says 7/16" pitch though. Don't laugh too much at the hillbilly operator trying to force it to cut!

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7tYNfYRP7BU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7tYNfYRP7BU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

In case the embedding doesn't work, you can see the short video here: Bolens 5500 - junk chain - YouTube

I just went down and checked the chain, it is 7/16" pitch. Gonna take a little looking to find some of that.

I have to say I think these real old dinosaurs are about my favourite type of saw. Neat old suckers.

Sister saws for sure. Titan, Bolens, and Fleetwood were all brands owned by FMC from what I've read, and shared saws.

The 3000 series were AH-47 powered machines, the 5000 and up had the West Bend.

There you have it, my hour or so's worth of knowledge on the subject.

Back