Chain talk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildnCrazyGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Let me see if I got this right... I promise I searched and searched and searched... But I keep seeing Full Comp, Semi Chisel, Skip, Half, RSC, Chisel, Semi RMC chains being talked about and I'm like :dizzy: (Just kidding. I know there's no such thing...)

Full Comp = cutter/tie strap/cutter... Same as Comp chain (for short)? Is there anything other than Comp? Half Comp?
Skip = cutter/tie strap, tie strap/cutter... For use on longer bars to allow for chain to pull through wood easier with longer bar.
Half Skip = cutter/tie strap/cutter/tie strap, tie strap/cutter... Same as Semi Skip I assume.

Chisel = Type of cutter, sharper than semi chisel, for clean wood, cuts fast.
Semi Chisel = Type of cutter, for dirty wood, maybe cuts a bit slower, but won't dull as fast as chisel.

I've also seen/heard...

Full House = cutter/cutter/cutter... Must be used with powerful saw to pull that many cutters through the wood.

You've got Harvestor chain, and carbide cutter chain for special stuff.

But I think with all the searching I'm coming out of the fog. On the right track now? Did I miss any lingo??? Get it all straight?

Chisel = Type of cutter, sharper than semi chisel, for clean wood, cuts fast.
Semi Chisel = Type of cutter, for dirty wood, maybe cuts a bit slower, but won't dull as fast as chisel.

Not quite. Not 'sharper', but a different shape.

Another poster described chisel as looking like a '7' when viewed from the end. It comes to a sharp point where the top and side edges meet.
The semi-chisel looks like a '?'. It is curved where the edges meet.

You are right about the faster cutting, faster dulling part.

Some of the lingo has to do with brand names and manufacturer terms.

Philbert
attachment.php

Last edited:
"Full house" is not cutter/cutter/cutter, it is cutter/tie strap/cutter. In other words "full house" is just another term for full comp.

"Full house" is not cutter/cutter/cutter, it is cutter/tie strap/cutter. In other words "full house" is just another term for full comp.

Not according to my dealer. They say full comp is cutter cutter cutter, while half house is cutter strap cutter, as in comp.

You missed one...

What do you call this one?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I actually knew what it is called at one time, but can't remember it now. I saw this one at the GTG at Grandpatractors in March, and another example at a shop in SiouX City (IA) earlier this year. They guy in the shop said it was great chain for cutting dirty conditions but the manufacturer gave up when ANSI got involved with reduced kick back and other chain safety issues.

Between every RH and LH cutter is a "V" shaped cutter.

Mark

Mark,

Interesting chain. Had to look at the photos a bit.

My first thought is that the chain is confusing because of the cutters also being drive links. Then you have to wonder why all chain is not made that way.

As far as classifying it by spacing, I would count the rivets in between each cutter instead of the tie straps. Makes it standard spacing according to the Oregon illustration in my post. Just my opinion.

Is the 'V' shaped cutter some kind of raker?

Philbert

Sorry for the poor quality photo, I have a better camera now but I am no where near Grantsburg, WI or Sioux City, IA to get another shot.

The "V" shaped tooth is the primary cutter, the LH and RH cutters (look closely at the photo) don't really create a kerf, just clean out the material sliced by the "V" cutters.

Each tooth has a conventional raker or depth gauge in front of it.

Mark

The "V" shaped tooth is the primary cutter, the LH and RH cutters (look closely at the photo) don't really create a kerf, just clean out the material sliced by the "V" cutters.

That would seem to be redundant, and also redundant for the work that the side plates are doing, unless it is for a very special purpose (end grain?). Would also seem to be really hard to sharpen the 'V' cutter.

Grandpatractor? Any insight?

Philbert

Latest posts

Back