Chainsaw related pet peeve‘s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#2 has made me raise my voice a few times.
I know what they're thinking when I get pissed too.
"Gosh its just another limb and I am paying him money already it wouldnt be any trouble!"

Since I am here you can pay me for my time unless you want to come be a slave at my house.

If the customer goes on and on and as you say is clearly thinking it’s no big job, I agree to drop the limb/tree whatever, and say that I will do it for free but I will not process it on the ground or take it away. They normally agree and then I can drive past for weeks watching them realise the little job is actually a big pita when you factor in the extra processing, tidying up and disposal.
It’s also satisfying when they shout up at you “can you just snip that little bit extra off there please”; their face when you lower it down and what looked like 4” dia from the ground is actually a 24” dia little bit.
On some days everyone knows my job better than me; retired teachers, grandmas, gobby teenagers :crazy2:

#2 has made me raise my voice a few times.
I know what they're thinking when I get pissed too.
"Gosh its just another limb and I am paying him money already it wouldnt be any trouble!"

Since I am here you can pay me for my time unless you want to come be a slave at my house.

Because you don’t have any other jobs lined up and scheduled right? Not like you had anything else to do that day

Because you don’t have any other jobs lined up and scheduled right? Not like you had anything else to do that day
...or because you don’t want an early day (which you took into account when quoting for the work) so that you can collect your son from school or put a roast dinner on etc.

If the customer goes on and on and as you say is clearly thinking it’s no big job, I agree to drop the limb/tree whatever, and say that I will do it for free but I will not process it on the ground or take it away. They normally agree and then I can drive past for weeks watching them realise the little job is actually a big pita when you factor in the extra processing, tidying up and disposal.
It’s also satisfying when they shout up at you “can you just snip that little bit extra off there please”; their face when you lower it down and what looked like 4” dia from the ground is actually a 24” dia little bit.
On some days everyone knows my job better than me; retired teachers, grandmas, gobby teenagers :crazy2:
I love the call backs.
"This is a lot we want you to do it after all."

Price went up now.

I tell my own family to call someone else. I cant give you a deal on my business.
My trade is competitive as can be. If you need help with your car etc let me know and I will show you I care but this is me feeding my kids.

I hear a lot during bids too....

"My cousin/buddy has a tree service. I cant afford that. I will see if he can help me some time."

The giant elm I just dropped I offered to haul away for $600. It was a steal!

The guy said no... We will do it.

I will try to drive by in a week and I bet half of it is still laying there.
1027191323a.jpg

1026191137.jpg

Good friggin luck buddy.

People kill me.
Yes you can haul it away in 50 loads on your atv trailer. It will take you weeks because you arent equipped for the task.
So you are gonna bust your butt for days and days to save basically 200 bucks after expense.

Only in small towns....

I am off topic.

Sary just had to.

I love the call backs.
"This is a lot we want you to do it after all."

Price went up now.

I tell my own family to call someone else. I cant give you a deal on my business.
My trade is competitive as can be. If you need help with your car etc let me know and I will show you I care but this is me feeding my kids.

I hear a lot during bids too....

"My cousin/buddy has a tree service. I cant afford that. I will see if he can help me some time."

The giant elm I just dropped I offered to haul away for $600. It was a steal!

The guy said no... We will do it.

I will try to drive by in a week and I bet half of it is still laying there.
View attachment 768925

View attachment 768923

Good friggin luck buddy.

People kill me.
Yes you can haul it away in 50 loads on your atv trailer. It will take you weeks because you arent equipped for the task.
So you are gonna bust your butt for days and days to save basically 200 bucks after expense.

Only in small towns....

I am off topic.

Sary just had to.

:lol: The UK, the US...people the same everywhere. You might drive by and find a big burn patch on their lawn where they gave up and decided a fire would be easier...I’ve seen that a few times. Times are getting hard though I guess?!
Did u have to dismantle the elm or could u just cut and throw out?
I looked at an oak today; 70’ tall, 6’ diameter at the base, two phone lines and one power line through the extensive canopy, recently resurfaced roads to either side, a crane job I guess. They want to keep the logs on site to save some cost. Not sure I can be bothered with this type of job anymore when there’s loads of relatively simple trees out there.
Now I’m off topic...

:lol: The UK, the US...people the same everywhere. You might drive by and find a big burn patch on their lawn where they gave up and decided a fire would be easier...I’ve seen that a few times. Times are getting hard though I guess?!
Did u have to dismantle the elm or could u just cut and throw out?
I looked at an oak today; 70’ tall, 6’ diameter at the base, two phone lines and one power line through the extensive canopy, recently resurfaced roads to either side, a crane job I guess. They want to keep the logs on site to save some cost. Not sure I can be bothered with this type of job anymore when there’s loads of relatively simple trees out there.
Now I’m off topic...
I dont chip.
I dont have a chipoer or want one.
1027191644.jpg

Thats most of my haul outs.
I burn it constantly.

The thing that always got me about chipper is:
#1 still gottaa get rid of the chips
#2 still gotta haul out the big stuff

I want a grapple truck baaayaaaad

Most I load out with winchers or a loader.

My thread "Dreading tomorrow" has pretty detailed stuff I put in pics and on youtube.

You do have an advantage.
Here we have 500,000 part time redneckjs doing the easier stuff for peanuts.

The only way I can or could survive was to find the hardest takedowns. I hate trimming. All I really want is hazardous removal but I have to trim to compete with others.

That elm I just did was a fairly simple top down with big pieces.
Only tedious part was over house and I had to limb walk with a horizontal rope about 30-40 feet and lanyard to a scrawny branch.

I am way way way too top heavy to limb walk as good as most of you guys.
I usually set on my butt and scoot.

I love cut and leave top downs. That is where my money is. Someday I just want contract commercial right of way jobs but its darn hard getting big enough to be able to afford the bonds. Thats why asplundh has it tied up so well.

2.6 billion net a year...
Jeepers.

The other thing that kills larger city contracts etc is "MBE's" (minority based enterprises)

If you are bidding in my state on most city jobs and an mbe is bidding they automatically win if they are within 10% of the nearest bid.

Sooo.... Contractors that are already big set up an mbe in their wifes name as 51% owner.

Mmmmm... Hurts dont it!

My former employer did this and bids multi million dollar contracts in his wifes name. She is a female business owner and a minority so she gets special treatment...

So everyone else bids 10 million or close and he bids 11.

He wins!

Politics my friend.

Once you learn to play the game on the double standard side of US politics... You are unstoppable.

Its not fair but neither is life.

Hence my username.

I’m large by UK climber standards; 6’2” and 18st. I’m like a hippo up a tree
I wish I was shorter for bidybuilding.
Every time I see a climb job though I wish I was taller and skinny.

I am 33 and days like today I wanted to start at 8 and started at eleven because my arthritis was killing me.

I do love this though.
I really do.
Once the job is done and I get to drive home listening to my music cranked up and enjoy an energy drink I been saving...

Thats as peaceful as life can be.
Its like winning a battle and taking a break on your throne as king.

I may be 80 at 50 but I get what I want outta life.

I’m large by UK climber standards; 6’2” and 18st. I’m like a hippo up a tree
Btw... Thats 250 lbs...
That is aa heavy climber brother lol

At my biggest and leanest I wasnt that heavy but my blood could not supply enough oxygen to accomplish as much as now.

I wish I was shorter for bidybuilding.
Every time I see a climb job though I wish I was taller and skinny.

I am 33 and days like today I wanted to start at 8 and started at eleven because my arthritis was killing me.

I do love this though.
I really do.
Once the job is done and I get to drive home listening to my music cranked up and enjoy an energy drink I been saving...

Thats as peaceful as life can be.
Its like winning a battle and taking a break on your throne as king.

I may be 80 at 50 but I get what I want outta life.
Ah yeah...the cruise home after a hard day is one of the best feelings

I got one,

When someone that is watching says something along the lines of “you always wear that helmet?” I Proudly say “YUP”. Their response “what for?”

That is about the extent of the conversation I have about any PPE all the time. And its irritating as FU&K.

Do i need to explain the reasons for PPE......SERIOUSLY....!!! [emoji35]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OT but it’s funny. Stupid azzes,

I’m in the pit in the gas station with my four speed tranny out changing my clutch. In walks the workers brother and he tells me the other place changed his clutch and never took the tranny out, I said nothing.

He goes to night school a few weeks later for automotive. He comes back mad they adjusted his clutch and charged him for a new one.
Again I said nothing.

I got one,

When someone that is watching says something along the lines of “you always wear that helmet?” I Proudly say “YUP”. Their response “what for?”

That is about the extent of the conversation I have about any PPE all the time. And its irritating as FU&K.

Do i need to explain the reasons for PPE......SERIOUSLY....!!! [emoji35]

On the ball tonight

[emoji1303]

To each his own man. I wont criticize you for not using PPE because “i don’t give a ****” about you not using it”[emoji6].

My gf does for the record.

I just have a claustrophobic tendancy in helmets.

I didn’t have a helmet on. I dropped a very tall oak tree that hit the top of another tree that had a 15” dead branch coming at me. I put my arm up but it did hit my head.

Be safe I care if you don’t use your helmet, I want you to go home at night to your family the same way you arrived in the morning. Work safe.

I didn’t have a helmet on. I dropped a very tall oak tree that hit the top of another tree that had a 15” dead branch coming at me. I put my arm up but it did hit my head.

Be safe I care if you don’t use your helmet, I want you to go home at night to your family the same way you arrived in the morning. Work safe.
I have scars on my head from contact.

Latest posts

Back