• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Chainsaws for milling

GeorgiaVol

GeorgiaVol

Addicted to ArboristSite
What are some of the basic parameters for what saw would be required for different diameter trees and types of wood? Friend was looking at getting an Alaskan mil and was asking me, but I have no experience with one. Obviously bigger is better, but being realistic, what are some minimum requirements?

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite
What are some of the basic parameters for what saw would be required for different diameter trees and types of wood? Friend was looking at getting an Alaskan mil and was asking me, but I have no experience with one. Obviously bigger is better, but being realistic, what are some minimum requirements?
90cc or better is a good place to start, unless all you'll be milling is pecker poles.

SEAM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cheap old popular saw with good motor, parts availability (spares, sprocket sizes, bars for milling), adjustable carburetor and as close as possible to or over 100 cc for logs 20" and over.
I use three Stihl 076 and a couple 050/051...
Personally, I would never buy a brand new saw for hobby milling.

Big Block

WFO or I don't go

Big Block

WFO or I don't go
Ok seriously is a 385/390on the lite side? Because basically I just got the ok to go bigger. Bigger than 372XPXT. She wants a big bench and table. I was thinking 390 maybe........... but 395XP/3120xp would be awesome. Not a fan boy of any brand obviously but those saws in the big classes intrigue me the most. **** I want a MS462RCM so bad every time I get caught lookin at one I get the what you’re gonna do to that thing look lol.

MaddBomber

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Definitely go 90cc+. Otherwise you'll be very disappointed.
I milled a 20" loblolly with my 462. It did not like it. Very slow going and highly stressful on the saw.
I've found that for milling you want the largest engine and shortest bar.
I've used a milling chain, but did not notice much of a difference compared to a regular full chisel.
To each their own.

Ripturner

ArboristSite Member
I use a Stihl 090. Plenty of power but also very porky. Definitely a workout to handle but I found it self feeding on a large beech tree on a steep hillside. I am waiting on a ms660 clone kit and big bore p/c to arrive. It was cheap and I am curious to see how it will work in the mill.

sean donato

sean donato

ArboristSite Lurker
I dont post much, but have been using an Alaskan mill for years. When my old 394xp wore out, I picked up a 390xp. It's a bit light in the pants for the 32" bar it wears but does gets the job done. If/when I get some spare money I'll rebuild the 394xp. Jmo