Cheap fix for dead cheapie Poulans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This applies only to the small Poulan and Poulan Pros in the advertised displacements of 33cc to 42cc that have been spilling out of box stores for decades. This is for the simple clamshell engines and is not meant for any with strato cylinders or the little top handle saws. When these saws turn up dead, it usually means both the cylinder and the piston need replacement and that often makes the repairs cost more than the saw. On ebay, you can find a p/c replacement kit from china for $30.00 US with no shipping charges. It is advertised as a replacement for a lot of Partners and Poulans and comes complete with a chrome plated cylinder, non-plated 2-ring piston, wrist pin and clips and the cylinder base (mine was missing but I didn't need it) Came in 2 weeks and was a perfect fit replacement for the one on a 36cc green body that had died from low compression due to wear on the non-plated cylinder. To clear up any misinformation on these saws, there is only one cylinder casting that comes in 2 bore sizes, 38mm and 41mm and they all use the same crankshaft. The main difference between the Poulan and the Poulan Pro is the Pro has a chrome plated cylinder and a non-plated piston, whereas the regular Poulan has a chrome plated piston and a non-plated cylinder. This kit would also work with any of the Craftsman saws that use the same Poulan clamshell engine. The great thing about this kit is will fit any of these saws and upgrade them to a 42cc Poulan Pro. Just open up the muffler, retune the carb and you get a good simple saw with lots of power for light duty work.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252619622348?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'd be curious what the squish clearance is. I bought one of the 2-ring pistons and it has 0.050" squish with a stock Poulan cylinder.

So that is why the Poulans die, un plated cylinder wears out quick. Good to know about the cylinder replacement.
Not really - they wear pretty well, but they are intolerant of any foreign objects in the cylinder (carbon chunks, etc.).

As mentioned, this kit will not replace strato cylinders. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 bore sizes, the 38mm and the 41mm/42mm (don't know which one is the correct size). Since they all use the same crank, the stroke is the same for all engines, so there are really only 2 displacements. The various advertised displacements are marketing ploys that just reflect the length of the bar. Should have pointed out earlier that if anyone is replacing a Poulan Pro cylinder with this kit, the Pro model has coil springs for AV mounts and you should check how the springs attach to the cylinder to be sure it is an exact fit.

I still find it strange that y'all end up with more burnt Poulan engines in this model saw. I get more melted cases then I do burnt jugs. Most of the ones I get it there is a problem other than fuel related issues, it's the case get warped by the exhaust outlet above the clutch cover. Anyway, I might get one of these just to try it out. Has anyone ported a Poulan engine like this? Or figured out a way to increase squish? I'm curious to know how much these little saws can take.

This applies only to the small Poulan and Poulan Pros in the advertised displacements of 33cc to 42cc that have been spilling out of box stores for decades. This is for the simple clamshell engines and is not meant for any with strato cylinders or the little top handle saws. When these saws turn up dead, it usually means both the cylinder and the piston need replacement and that often makes the repairs cost more than the saw. On ebay, you can find a p/c replacement kit from china for $30.00 US with no shipping charges. It is advertised as a replacement for a lot of Partners and Poulans and comes complete with a chrome plated cylinder, non-plated 2-ring piston, wrist pin and clips and the cylinder base (mine was missing but I didn't need it) Came in 2 weeks and was a perfect fit replacement for the one on a 36cc green body that had died from low compression due to wear on the non-plated cylinder. To clear up any misinformation on these saws, there is only one cylinder casting that comes in 2 bore sizes, 38mm and 41mm and they all use the same crankshaft. The main difference between the Poulan and the Poulan Pro is the Pro has a chrome plated cylinder and a non-plated piston, whereas the regular Poulan has a chrome plated piston and a non-plated cylinder. This kit would also work with any of the Craftsman saws that use the same Poulan clamshell engine. The great thing about this kit is will fit any of these saws and upgrade them to a 42cc Poulan Pro. Just open up the muffler, retune the carb and you get a good simple saw with lots of power for light duty work.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252619622348?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Help me remember, is this the family that also includes the Husqvarna saws or no?

I still find it strange that y'all end up with more burnt Poulan engines in this model saw. I get more melted cases then I do burnt jugs. Most of the ones I get it there is a problem other than fuel related issues, it's the case get warped by the exhaust outlet above the clutch cover. Anyway, I might get one of these just to try it out. Has anyone ported a Poulan engine like this? Or figured out a way to increase squish? I'm curious to know how much these little saws can take.
Perhaps they melt the case in hotter temps? I see the OP is in Canada so maybe the cylinders die first in cooler weather...

Maybe....

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/reducing-squish-on-a-poulan-clamshell.273087/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/exhaust-delayed-scavenging.292902/

img_2310-1024-jpg.487538

Back