Cheap Tach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramv102000

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the cheap Chinese tach / hour meters that they sell on Ebay for about $12.00 ? Are they ok to use just to verify your tuning once in a while ?

I bought a Tiny Tach Fast Tach. It's a sweet little rig man. A little pricey, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

I believe there is a thread on here about a fellow who attached one (the ones you're talking about) to pretty much all of his saws so he could see it as it was running.

I just got a trail tech TTO. Haven't had time to put it on a saw yet though.

They seem to work ok but have a fairly slow refresh so the particular speed you're trying to measure must be maintained at a steady rate for a time to get a good reading.

First I bought this one, but it's too slow and the buttons don't make any sense:
914034633_275.jpg

Then I found the one below, it works really great! Hold it near the spark plug and it reads the RPM within 1 second. Can be found on ebay around $10
images

Then I found the one below, it works really great! Hold it near the spark plug and it reads the RPM within 1 second. Can be found on ebay around $10
images
Do you have a brand or model for the $10 one? A link would be even better!
I tried a search using the image, but most of the links didn't work.
I used the add on http://tineye.com/ for firFox.
I found some FeeBay listings ,But all were in the $30 + range.

Has anyone tried the cheap Chinese tach / hour meters that they sell on Ebay for about $12.00 ? Are they ok to use just to verify your tuning once in a while ?

No tach is going to help much at that, except to maybe tell you that you're near the ballpark. They can tell you that an engine is running.

Your ears can tell you much more, via 2-stroking/ 4-stroking. Haven't seen an AFR-meter yet for 2-strokes. (air/fuel ratio) That could get you right on target.

Back