Tuning for a Husqvarna 365 Special.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJK1996

Becoming one with the saws…
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what the safe rpm ranges should be for this saw. It has a black coil. I bought it off of my dad. He used it for falling, so it has the full wrap kit, and HD filter upgrade with a walkerized muffler mod. I’m planning on tuning using a Stihl edt 9 tach. It had an air leak but I fixed it by replacing the seals. Any help would be appreciated 😊 I’ve tried tuning by ear but I can’t seem to get it right.

Here is the process and from looking online, around 13500. That said, I’d go less than that. They need to meet emissions and thus have them screaming lean. A nice rich tune that cleans up under load is better all round

Just because it says stihl tuning procedure, it doesn’t matter, it’s identical for all 2 stroke power tools.

Should the 365 Specials not have the blue rev limiting coil fitted?
If you have a black unlimited coil, plus the other mods you mention- odds are nobody is going to be real keen to hand you an RPM number and call you good to go.
Think the book for the old 365 with unlimited coil says 12 to 12.5K- after that you are on your own, as that value is for a stock saw.

Should the 365 Specials not have the blue rev limiting coil fitted?
If you have a black unlimited coil, plus the other mods you mention- odds are nobody is going to be real keen to hand you an RPM number and call you good to go.
Think the book for the old 365 with unlimited coil says 12 to 12.5K- after that you are on your own, as that value is for a stock saw.
Thing is though a modified saw it will still run with stock settings, just not at ideal efficiency. When I modify a saw it will run at stock settings but then I will set it by loading/unloading for peak performance, they will always rev higher once ported and modified then tuned correctly but will still run fairly well, usually fairly smooth but not perfect.I have often read where all saws need to be tuned richer after porting but that has not been my experience with them, often times the extra air moving through the carb venturi will pull more fuel from the jets, but as always one needs to tune each one as an individual entity.

Thing is though a modified saw it will still run with stock settings, just not at ideal efficiency. When I modify a saw it will run at stock settings but then I will set it by loading/unloading for peak performance, they will always rev higher once ported and modified then tuned correctly but will still run fairly well, usually fairly smooth but not perfect.I have often read where all saws need to be tuned richer after porting but that has not been my experience with them, often times the extra air moving through the carb venturi will pull more fuel from the jets, but as always one needs to tune each one as an individual entity.

That is exactly what my point was- nobody sitting behind a keyboard is going to be able to hand the OP a magical number to set his individual saw to an say it will be 100% on the money and safe.
That is why I felt confident enough to use the stock numbers and not + 1000- 1500 rpm.

That is exactly what my point was- nobody sitting behind a keyboard is going to be able to hand the OP a magical number to set his individual saw to an say it will be 100% on the money and safe.
That is why I felt confident enough to use the stock numbers and not + 1000- 1500 rpm.
So true, Bob.

Latest posts

Back