Cherry tree pruning HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning guys,

I recently started a tree company and have not done any hard pruning's yet. I met with a customer and he showed me the trees he wanted cut far back. I can see where they were cut back years ago and I am wondering if I can cut them at the same spots since that is how far the homeowner wants them cut again. I am worried about the trees ability to come back in spring time. Attached are pictures of the trees and where you should be able to see where they were cut before. Thanks in advance and if you have anything negative to say please keep to yourself.

IMG_3193.jpgIMG_3192.jpgIMG_3190.jpgIMG_3194.jpgIMG_3189.jpgIMG_3188.jpg

Following.
Was he happy with the outcome last time? Branches would have been a lot smaller then. Now it will be more stress on the tree if cut back to the same point as last time. Will he hold you responsible if they don't come back?
Yes he was happy with the outcome last time. I have not talked to him about who will be responsible but if there is a good chance they will not rebound I will have to have that discussion.

Kyle, lots of good information on pruning orchards. I've been faced with similar old apples trees at my home orchard.

I think best option is heavy pruning but spread over several winters. You might do some research concerning cherry trees specifically. Do these bear fruit or just ornamental?

Attached are some references, the one on renovating old apples is a good place to start.

Attachments

• renovating apple trees.pdf
    872.2 KB · Views: 11
  • fruit tree pruning.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • pruning aplle trees.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
You can prune ornemental cherries back to almost the old cuts. I cut back to a lateral, but may cut back to the old cut if there is a sucker or two at that location.
My philosophy is trees are like teenagers, driven by hormones, so the growth hormones need a place to concentrate so they wont sucker as badly.
The ornemental cherries around here are very tolerant to pruning even if they get every disease and insect in the book.

Latest posts

Back