What's the worst you've done to an idiot customer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the original story goes, you should have smacked your partner up side the head, got in the truck an left. No reason to blame a home owner for asking as many questions as possible to educate himself, especially if you're partner is standing there giving him the education for free. I deal with custom production equipment for a living. I have all of my quotes itemized so I can pick and choose which options I want the equipment to have.

As far as the original story goes, you should have smacked your partner up side the head, got in the truck a left. No reason to blame a home owner for asking as many questions as possible to educate himself, especially if you're partner is standing there giving him the education for free. I deal with custom production equipment for a living. I have all of my quotes itemized so I can pick and choose which options I want the equipment to have.
I don’t have any idiot customers. They’re all geniuses you can ask em! I just nod my head and thank em for their business. Have to have VERY broad shoulders in this business.

I've seen plenty of guys go back to a customers site and get payback. Guy refused to pay a local landscaper for tree removal. Landscaper went back and dumpoed the entire load of brush and logs right in the driveway. Another guy runs a dumpster trash hauling company. Customer refused to pay so he went back and dumped the entire 20 yard can right in the driveway.

Go ahead, klet people trash you and abuse you thinking 'the customers always right" but don't be surprised when the other customers abuse you too.
We all done work at some time when a customer either dont want to pay or drags out paying. You only ever do work for these people once, but you dont tar everyone with the same brush. In my view your doing a professional service, you keep the job site clean and safe and the clients treat you the same. It's easy to fly off the handle and row but then all respect is lost. It's best to walk away, even if you need the work you dont need it that bad.

Your doing it wrong then .
Maybe, but I still say it's a guy thing.
I tried to dicker with the guy at the lawn and garden shop several years ago on a new Husky mower. He wouldn't budge.
When I told my boss about it, he went and bought it for me, with a discount.

So, what's your technique, is there a secret code, or handshake involved?

Maybe, but I still say it's a guy thing.
I tried to dicker with the guy at the lawn and garden shop several years ago on a new Husky mower. He wouldn't budge.
When I told my boss about it, he went and bought it for me, with a discount.

So, what's your technique, is there a secret code, or handshake involved?
No secret I just say “Not paying that, you have to do better “ and then say nothing . Make them talk first . My wife is even better at it than me . Must be the Brooklyn in her

No secret I just say “Not paying that, you have to do better “ and then say nothing . Make them talk first . My wife is even better at it than me . Must be the Brooklyn in her
I'm 1/2 Sicilian, moms from Brooklyn. That talent must have skipped a generation.:rolleyes:
I'll try out your line next opportunity and let you know how it goes. 👍

I'm 1/2 Sicilian, moms from Brooklyn. That talent must have skipped a generation.:rolleyes:
I'll try out your line next opportunity and let you know how it goes. 👍
Be prepared to walk away too . I’ve had people call me or send a new lower quote days if not weeks later

My day job is business to business sales. We have our share of idiots here too, and I fire customers all the time. Usually just stop getting in touch is all it takes, but sometimes "xyz competitor is going to take better care of you than I will" is the nudge they need. I'd never go out of my way to cause any of them problems. If I did, I sure as hell wouldn't brag about it online, like it's something to be proud of.

Farthest I'll go is a PITA fee built into the pricing. Either this quote is going to make you go away, or it's going to be profitable enough for me to be worth the hassle.

Farthest I'll go is a PITA fee built into the pricing. Either this quote is going to make you go away, or it's going to be profitable enough for me to be worth the hassle.

I've actually encouraged some of of the integrators and machine shops to charge us a PITA fee. When I was in Automotive, I encouraged it because because we were a big enough customer that we could get them to do what ever we wanted and when ever we wanted. I'm in med device now, and I now I encourage the PITA fee because we THINK we're as big as a GM plant.

I've actually encouraged some of of the integrators and machine shops to charge us a PITA fee. When I was in Automotive, I encouraged it because because we were a big enough customer that we could get them to do what ever we wanted and when ever we wanted. I'm in med device now, and I now I encourage the PITA fee because we THINK we're as big as a GM plant.

100%, same here. Need a custom part, factory rep that I have a good relationship with is hesitant and clearly doesn't want to do the job, I tell them charge me enough so it's worth doing on their side.

I like the win-win-win sales, not out to screw anyone over. Factory makes money building the part, customer makes money building whatever they're building and selling it, and I make money doing the legwork and logistics and handling the PITA.

100%, same here. Need a custom part, factory rep that I have a good relationship with is hesitant and clearly doesn't want to do the job, I tell them charge me enough so it's worth doing on their side.

I like the win-win-win sales, not out to screw anyone over. Factory makes money building the part, customer makes money building whatever they're building and selling it, and I make money doing the legwork and logistics and handling the PITA.
Exactly. I try to isolate my integrators from the BS as much as I can, but I tell them to make sure they are charging enough to make it worth all the pain because I'm more interested in developing, protecting, and preserving a business relationship than I am saving a buck or two. They know that I'm not going to call and ask for something unless I actually need it, but if I make the call, then answer needs to be yes. If my contact doesn't have enough authority to tell me yes, I get a contact that does.

My day job is business to business sales. We have our share of idiots here too, and I fire customers all the time. Usually just stop getting in touch is all it takes, but sometimes "xyz competitor is going to take better care of you than I will" is the nudge they need. I'd never go out of my way to cause any of them problems. If I did, I sure as hell wouldn't brag about it online, like it's something to be proud of.

yep, done that but its crazy how it works out. the job you dont want and think they will never accept a high price they always do. Probably out of desperation because they subconsciously know they are a PITA and this is one job you know deep down you should walk away but something draws you in. It's a funny old world :lol:

Latest posts

Back