Help with Water Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yira

Reaction score
I have a water oak that's possibly damaging my driveway and perhaps concrete under my carport. I've had an arborist come and couldn't figure why roots were growing the way they were. He noticed alot of rocks and said maybe that was the problem in the way the roots were spreading. The owner from a tree company said I could dig along with driveway and walkway and create trench, cut the roots along there and see if that helped. I asked wouldn't that kill the tree but he said it wouldn't. The other tree guy left if up to me and said he could send a landscaper but it would cost more than to take the tree down, $1750 to remove the tree. Had a concrete guy come over and he said he had seen alot worse and recommended leaving driveway as is. I like the tree, and it provides a lot of shade, but I also would like a solution long term. So I'm here to seek advice. I have tried to lay soil down and add nutrients, used an aerator, but it seems like an endless battle. Thank you.

IMG_8690.jpgIMG_8692.jpgIMG_8688.jpgIMG_8698.jpgIMG_8701.jpgIMG_8700.jpgIMG_8697.jpgIMG_8695.jpgIMG_8704.jpg

Stop piling yard trash around the base of the tree, you're smothering it. Driving and parking around its base compacts the soil. I bet if you rip up the flooring in that house the entire foundation has cracks like your driveway.

Cracks add character. Unless they really bother you, just get a sidewinder grinder and a diamond wheel, grind off the trip hazards, and then fill the cracks with concrete adhesive. Try to avoid getting silicosis of the lungs! Wear a good respirator. If you wet grind it, make sure you wear rubber boots. Go ahead! Ask me how I know.
This stuff works great: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikret...d-Structural-Concrete-Repair-124125/207102852

Now as to the cause of your problems: Poor concrete work is usually the correct answer. Poor compaction, low value concrete poured in the forms, poured too thin, and inadequate reinforcement are almost the norm. On the other hand, those cracks don't look like they are hurting much.

Trees will definitely damage even the best of concrete slabs. Each year, the tree roots grow a little larger in diameter, and you eventually end up with a grade change under the concrete. With all the freeze heaving that goes on in the winter time, most concrete slabs cannot take the uneven pressure.

Unless the cracks are causing a problem, I'd not worry about them. Eliminate the trip hazards, fix the cracks to reduce further freeze heaving in the winter time, and be prepared to do it again in another 5 years, or until your tree goes away.

Latest posts

Back