Choose one quick 066 660 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
love my 661!!
Over 30 gallons of fuel through it, even with a fair bit of milling. zero issues whatsoever... It's my go to saw for everything, big or small & I own quite a few good saws;)
Starts easy, runs great & pulls a 36" bar -wearing full comp chain- through oak without ever breaking a sweat.

And it looks as though this might be the way the cup is tilted? :innocent:
Even with Spoon Man's reccommendation the OP is now looking at a Chinese copy. I think our work here is done. We can exit knowing we left the thread in a worse state than we found it. Can't ask for more than that.

OK,, you guys got me leery of that New 661 with all the new fangled riggin on it .

What about a new holefarmer G660's? Seen a few of those for sale lately.

You shouldn't be. There were problems. Those problems showed last year. They most likely work their way through the system, unless somebody is sitting on old stock. If they have a popular saw, like a MS661 that long on the shelf, shop elsewhere.

2 661s here. Great saws. No problems and way better on fuel in production. You can feel the Mtron kicking in more fuel when the going get's tough. Had a 066, good saw but the 661 is just better from my experience. Better AV, newer air filter, carb always perfectly set, better mileage, cleaner burning, less oil to breathe.
Can't and won't fault the 660s but things have changed for the better.

661. M-Tronic has proven itself for over ten years at this point. It works. It’s a more comfortable saw, and anyone who says an 066 or a 660 is a comfortable saw to run in comparison with its contemporaries must be a masochist. Better air cleaners and fuel efficiency are always a good deal.

The only things the 660 has going for it are the looks, “legend” (who cares?) and the stiffer AV for running a 42 inch bar, that a 660 doesn’t really run well anyway and a 395XP will blow away either of the Stihls pulling.

Yep no denying times are changing Stihl for one know this and put a lot of R&D time and money into new saw disign to cater for this new softer whining market.

056av mag
View attachment 825131

ms500i
View attachment 825132
LOL

Yeah.... but the guy that logged with the 056, his fingers are probably stuck in that position to this day and his hands probably shake.
The 500i guy will still have skin like a 12 year old boy when he is 80! :laugh:

Are we reaching peak-chainsaw? Where the advancements are so small it's hardly even worth it and like cars, they have to start building into it as many higher profit margin features as they can even if it does exactly zero (if lucky) for reliability/longevity?
What's next? Perhaps the major brands can add a few high-pixel cameras and gps/blutooth/5G capability for automatic uploads to youtube of your cutting vids and you can play an online game of throwns against multi-players/fellers around the world, for a subscription fee of course. Or th saw automatically emailing both you and your factory authorised service tech to schedule the next service or when a fault is detected?

Are we going to see a court case to break the monopolistic protection of diagnostic software and interfaces (service revenue streams), like what happened in the car world?

Are we reaching peak-chainsaw? Where the advancements are so small it's hardly even worth it and like cars, they have to start building into it as many higher profit margin features as they can even if it does exactly zero (if lucky) for reliability/longevity?
What's next? Perhaps the major brands can add a few high-pixel cameras and gps/blutooth capability for automatic uploads to youtube of your cutting vids and you can play an online game of throwns against multi-players/fellers around the world, for a subscription fee of course.

Are we going to see a court case to break the monopolistic protection of diagnostic software and interfaces (service revenue streams), like what happened in the car world?

No way- never- not yet...... apparently there is a "new" Corona 395XP in the pipelines! That will kick (suck?) arse of all the whizz bang gizmo saws! :laugh:

No way- never- not yet...... apparently there is a "new" Corona 395XP in the pipelines! That will kick (suck?) arse of all the whizz bang gizmo saws! :laugh:
Is that before or after Makita releases its 72v 90cc equivalent cordless battery chainsaw? Ha.

Can't really see a need to ever replace my 395. Here it is, lurking with intent.

bigKauri.jpg

I wish my 660 had strong spring AV, I wish it had better fuel economy maybe a strato 2mix cylinder, it chews through my 5lt mix can but I'm still glad I don't have a 661. My next largish saw will be a 395xp. I bet the 661 is nice to use, I reckon I'd like running one for a day, but I don't want to own one and add it to my worksaw fleet.

Is that before or after Makita releases its 72v 90cc equivalent cordless battery chainsaw? Ha.

Can't really see a need to ever replace my 395. Here it is, lurking with intent.

View attachment 825157

Where is the after shot- with that stem laying on the ground? :laugh:

I wish my 660 had strong spring AV, I wish it had better fuel economy maybe a strato 2mix cylinder, it chews through my 5lt mix can but I'm still glad I don't have a 661. My next largish saw will be a 395xp. I bet the 661 is nice to use, I reckon I'd like running one for a day, but I don't want to own one and add it to my worksaw fleet.

The 395XP has some cons, clear fuel tank would be nice- side chain adjuster would be nice- if you back cut big stuff, your fingers of your left hand can get toasty warm from the proximity to the muffler when holding the side of the front handle......... but the pro's far outweigh the con's and in my opinion the 395 is the better of the two- just get one before they decide 572 is big enough for European log production.

Back