Ebay MS 660 and 066 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey, guys,

I've always wanted a 066 or 660 (been running an Ms361 for several years but occasionally need something bigger) and now that they've stopped making them, I guess my days are numbered for finding a new genuine Stihl 660 powerhead.

I was looking on ebay and found some "new made from parts" 066 saws ... what's the deal with them? Chinese knockoffs? Frankensaws? The guys selling them are from Idaho and Washington, so it seems like they must be trustworthy if they're selling them to the loggers out there ... no?

Also found a couple of supposedly "new old stock" 660s. Is it worthwhile buying a new 660 on ebay? Will you still get the Stihl factory warranty? And what's a fair price for a "new old stock" Stihl 660 without bar and chain? My local dealer quoted me a price of $1000 but that was a few years ago, and I don't know whether they're still available to dealers unless they're sitting on their shelves.

I just don't want to buy the new 661 with all the computer stuff – I want old school – but I guess my days are numbered if I want to get a genuine Stihl new...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CA

If you are buying a non-production saw, just be very careful as to what it is, and what it's made up of. There's a whole lot of crap floating around out there.

Not saying that it's not possible to buy a NOS saw, but they tend to be rare.

If it sounds too good to be true.................:rolleyes:

If buying new, the 661 has it all over the 066/660. If you like the AV of your 361 and want the same feeling go 661. The price difference should not be that great between a new one of either. $1050 for a new R model at a big shop in WA.

$1200+ is full retail which is what most dealers want. I found it worth the trip from Oregon north when purchasing Stihl saw stuff. The trimmers and blowers seem to be the same price everywhere though.

661 is 1050$ 461 is 900$ here. The 5 dealors round here all still have 660's on the shelf for 1019$

new made from parts is usually code for 100% aftermarket, which isn't a terrible thing if the buyer is made aware and pays accordingly
Dave
This is the most truthful thing I've heard in a long time and I agree 100%. I recently bough an 066 from ebay. Paid a good bit for it. Once I received the saw I realized it had an AM cylinder. That's not what I paid for. Long story short I returned it even though the seller didn't accept returns and received a full refund from ebay. Their buyer protection works pretty good. They sided with me because the saw didn't match his description.

From now if I buy from their I will ask about such parts before bidding. I would have been fine with it if it had been disclosed and a lower price.

Back