Just a quick hello

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Grunt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just joined up to ask a few questions,I'm just getting into chainsaw milling and have a lot to learn. I've cut quite a bit of firewood and hedge posts,( Osage Orange is what lot of folks call it ) around here in kansas its called hedge.
I've pretty much only used Stihl saws,started with dads 041 in early to mid 70's after few years in USMC I bought a 041AV in 85 that old saw cut a lot of wood for years,finally in around 2011 or 2012 I decided since parts was getting harder to find and she needed lots of work to just buy a new saw,since I really wasnt cutting much anymore and getting a few years on me I went with a medium duty Sthil 391 it was great for several years enough power to pull 20" bar starts and runs fine and plenty for what I cut.
Last year I bought a 24" grandberg mill finally started playing with it two or 3 weeks ago and I'm hooked, on 10-12 inch cedar it did ok but when I milled a 18" I knew I'd burn her up quick.
I started looking for a 460 in great shape,in my searching I found a 660 that I dont think had more then 5 or 6 hours I gave more $$ then I should have for it but I'm happy to have a almost brand new 660.
I wanted older saw because I worked at a pretty large farm equipment repair shop,for 10-12 years we serviced anything but sold Stihl so I'm pretty familiar with with the older 460/660 saw,I am pretty good tuning stock saws but know very little about any modifications for chainsaws,and or milling lumber,thought this be a good place to ask questions.

I'm going to try and add couple pics of my Stihl saws just to see if i can figure it out.
There's a 170 wife uses around house and farmyard,my 391 I've had 10ish years,and new to me 660.

Attachments

• KIMG0763.JPG
    KIMG0763.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • KIMG0764.JPG
    KIMG0764.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back