Echo's customer service is pretty bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger

Reaction score
So a few months ago I decided to be a two saw home. Had two 30' plumb trees to drop and picked up a 3510 to take care of it. I recently ordered a 620P through a dealer in a local town. Picked it up on their dealer day so that worked out well. Got the saw home and found that it came without the captured bar nuts. Scratched my head and shot off a request to Echo customer service. I was told that my s/n was 3 yrs old and didn't get the "new design change". I let them know that I just paid for a new saw and was not responsible for them filling my order with a saw that's been on the shelf for 3 years. The reply I got back was the part number for the new clutch cover (which I believe is a plastic part for $40. There is another part that goes for $65 that looks to be mag).

I'm thinking of calling my dealer to see if they can do anything. My guess is they can't but I'll give them the opportunity.

I'm thinking if they make a design change, they've got two options: 1 upgrade all the in stock items to the new rev. or 2 sell the old versions "as is" for a discounted price. I got a bait and switch. Really surprised at the lack of customer service.

I guess you were'nt around during the "dark ages" of powersaws when they were self-destructing and almost all failures were attributed to "bad gas" and almost all warranty requests were denied by pretty much all of the major brands. That's a problem of ethics that many seem to overlook today when they defend their brand..

Just buy a spare nut. there's bigger things to worry about than your nuts.

Your stock cover on the 620 should be metal, afaik..

So a few months ago I decided to be a two saw home. Had two 30' plumb trees to drop and picked up a 3510 to take care of it. I recently ordered a 620P through a dealer in a local town. Picked it up on their dealer day so that worked out well. Got the saw home and found that it came without the captured bar nuts. Scratched my head and shot off a request to Echo customer service. I was told that my s/n was 3 yrs old and didn't get the "new design change". I let them know that I just paid for a new saw and was not responsible for them filling my order with a saw that's been on the shelf for 3 years. The reply I got back was the part number for the new clutch cover (which I believe is a plastic part for $40. There is another part that goes for $65 that looks to be mag).

I'm thinking of calling my dealer to see if they can do anything. My guess is they can't but I'll give them the opportunity.

I'm thinking if they make a design change, they've got two options: 1 upgrade all the in stock items to the new rev. or 2 sell the old versions "as is" for a discounted price. I got a bait and switch. Really surprised at the lack of customer service.
It's not on the dealer or Echo..you bought the saw and took delivery off it. Should have checked it out before handing over cash.
Besides who gives a **** about captured bar nuts. A solution to a non existent problem IMO.

Yup, just like flippy caps. And computer saws...

I like the Husqvarna Flippy caps. Computer saws are great until they aren't and you are forced to take it to a dealer instead of easily fixing it yourself. I understand that you can still fix the carbs and solenoids but you can't do much with the software.

I thought they were ok (complete overkill and unnecessary, but ok) until I broke one. My fault, but it was too easy. I think I paid 17.00 for that cap..hmmm.

the best caps I've ever had are the ones on my echo 590 and my little proyama zenoah clone. Also the caps on my old jonny 590's. They fit perfect and don't get stuck tight.

Isn’t the echo dealer day a discount already? I mean, aren’t those are the days that dealers would like the move the older inventor?

i Prefer standard nuts, standard carbs and standard transmissions!

Slugger, I don’t know what to say about your dealer, and having to order a saw that was supposedly 3 years old, but I think that you should reach out to the dealer first and give them a chance to make it right. I picked up a 620PW this week that I waited a month for and it was brand brand new. I don’t think Echo did anything wrong telling you the (assumingly) facts. If it is in fact a 3 year old saw the dealer should be the one on the hook, let them know you aren’t happy with the thing and see what they say. Maybe they didn’t know and will just get you what you need to be happy.

Side note, I got mine from a dealer during a regular day and I paid less than msrp. But it is all magnesium.

Wow, I guess I did miss the darker days. I thought the whole captured nut design would work pretty well . . . guess not.

Were there any BIG changes in the past 3 years that I should be aware of ?

The dealer only has two 590's in stock, mostly trimmers and blowers, more of a yard maintenance shop. This dealer did not have this saw on the shelf for 3 yrs. He ordered a CS-620P from Echo (as far as I know) I'd be surprised if he knew to order an old product.

Guess I need to know everything about everything I "take delivery of" including serial number ranges . . . . right get real.

Talked to the dealer today and it sounds like we'll be able to figure out a solution. I was just really shocked by the lack of "give a #$%^" from Echo. Guess that 5 yr warranty means nothing if the dealer isn't willing to back up the customer.

Computer saws are of great benefit. The average guy can't tune a saw to save his life, nor recognize when the saw is dangerously lean.
Maybe they should put that garbage on the homeowner saws then. Pro sawhands ran saws for years and burned very few up. The only one I remember was a 266 I believe and that guy rightly blamed it on himself cause he knew better.

Echo warranty is that the saw is free from manufacturer defects. Your saw is not defective. I too bought a 620 from a small dealer, and they also had to "order" it. Turns out that meant they got one from a larger dealer since Echo charges freight on orders that are below a certain $ amount. Your beef is with the small business that tried to make an extra sale on a discount day with the only 620 they could get

Honestly with the way covid screwed up so many factories leading to quality control issues you’re probably better off with a saw built before everything went to heck.

I’m on team free nuts though, I have captive nuts on my 7310 and it’s a little clunky to remove the clutch cover with them.

Things went to heck long, long, long before covid. Covid has nothing to do with the prevailing disaster of quality control that has been going on for almost 2 decades.
You are not wrong. I retired after over 40 years in the glass, glazing, commercial and residential window manufacturing business. The company i started with was a mom and pop business that never had to advertise our services. They retired and sold out in 1996 to an operation that produced more in a month then we previously did in a year. The product was low quality, hastily made to meet a delivery schedule. I couldnt believe my eyes some of the things they tried to get away with. Still in business today. Buy American just isnt the same anymore. We have to do better, but its really too late.

Maybe they should put that garbage on the homeowner saws then. Pro sawhands ran saws for years and burned very few up. The only one I remember was a 266 I believe and that guy rightly blamed it on himself cause he knew better.
The problem isn't with pros.. it's the guys using factory setting you mentioned above. Carb tuning changes by the day...a fact lost on some so "factory settings" are of no consequence.
And give it time electronic carbs or fuel injection will be on everything.

Latest posts

Back