Is this too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
Reaction score
Hello and good morning friends. Let me first say I live in a very uneducated and unpopulated chainsaw area of the US so going to a local dealer and expecting them to have things like double bevel files or skip chains is pointless. But yesterday I went to a place I dont shop at much but I know caters to the tree service guys alittle more and asked if they had a 84 link 3/8ths .50 skip chain and to my amazement they had it. Not only that they had square ground which I just recently started using. So here's my question. What's one of those typically cost out the door without a discount? This is an oregon and im pretty sure they are cutting and spinning them in house. Cost me 39 and some change.

Not much call for skip around here so no one carries it. Especially in shorter loops like that
Once in a blue moon I run into saw that has a skip tooth on it. The owner usually doesn't even know that the chain is a skip tooth or who mounted it.. The most recent one was a Poulan Pro with an 18" bar. That was the first Poulan I had ever seen with a skip tooth chain.

Once in a blue moon I run into saw that has a skip tooth on it. The owner usually doesn't even know that the chain is a skip tooth or who mounted it.. The most recent one was a Poulan Pro with an 18" bar. That was the first Poulan I had ever seen with a skip tooth chain.
Oregon's replacement chain for the Milwaukee Hatchet (a tiny on-hand battery powered chain saw) is skip tooth. The Milwaukee chain (also made by Oregon but to much higher quality standards it seems) is full compliment. Perhaps that's how Oregon sells Oregon brand for less than Milwaukee brand.

Lately I've seen a lot of 18" poulans with skip tooth chain straight from the factory, maybe to help keep the chain from stalling when a homeowner with an underpowered saw buries the whole 18" in hardwood.

Lately I've seen a lot of 18" poulans with skip tooth chain straight from the factory, maybe to help keep the chain from stalling when a homeowner with an underpowered saw buries the whole 18" in hardwood.
I've seen and have sharkfin full skip lp. It's been around for nearly fifteen years for small saws with long bars. 42cc 18" or 20" is common and a real joke. They need 14" bars or less. It's done for less kickback is my best guess and the big bar syndrome 🙃 🤪 😅

I could match that price above for 050 3/8" Oregon full comp from those who buy saws or stuff and acually spend some dough. Offering that to the public won't happen. Providing an extra service for some is doable.

The "Sharkfin" chain has been around a lot longer than that... it was originally intended to reduce vibration back in the day when anti-vibe was becoming a thing. The anti-kickback properties turned out to be a beneficial side effect that evolved in to the various safety chains we have today

Latest posts

Back