048 AV chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

048av

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All, New to the forum but not new to chainsaws. Been cutting firewood with my pops for years, now heating my own house!

Question: I picked up a Stihl 048av a year or so back for $100 and it didn't have a chain brake. I assumed it was just a saw made prior to that era, but looking at schematics online some 048av's had them (or maybe someone just took this one off). I love the saw's tractor like power, I use it for cutting wood to length at the truck, while I use my ms391 to fell and cut to 6ft sections to carry to the truck.

Can I put a chain brake on the saw pictured below, and what models are compatible with this saw for the chain brake kit? 028av? Anyone have a kit for sale?

Also, if anyone has an 048av can you send me a picture of how all these parts go together in there. Much appreciated, just seems silly not to have it if it's available.

Thanks,
-Tom

IMG_9714.jpg

1708316973803.png

I’ve got an 048 AV Electronic I’ll send you pictures of this morning once I drag myself out to the shop. It’s for sale if you’re interested. Needs an ignition of sorts as it doesn’t like to restart when hot but runs like a scalded ape up until you shut it off.

Looks like it might be the same as the 038. I PMed you the IPL for the 038. If the PNs match, you'll know.

I can provide pics of an assembled 038 brake assembly, if the two saws end up being the same.

Roy

Update, the 038 brake kit is not correct for my saw at least. If anyone has one for sale, i'll buy it (or a parts 048av electronic). Thank you, -Tom

JD, The brake band needs to be #4 above for my saw, the 038 is #3 above. Also the linkage looks different and i'm not 100% the spring will fix under the cover. So it's more than a couple parts. I think I have the old style 048av saw though.

I think I have the old style 048av saw though.
The original one's have pan head screws like yours (& mine). These were updated at some point along the way. They are prone to case leaks as it can be hard to do those screws up tight enough. I believe there was a service bulletin recommending the be replaced with allen or torx heads. I haven't done mine as they're all pretty fused in place & I'm more concerned they mite sheer off

Thanks for the info JD. Is the original brake a different part number?

Mine runs really well, if I ever have a problem or tear it down that far, I'll replace the screws. But this looks like a firewood saw since new and never saw hard use. It was retired by the previous guy 15 years ago for a lighter saw (I don't blame him, ha ha). It'll be great for milling that future cabin I want to build!

Thanks for the info JD. Is the original brake a different part number?

Mine runs really well, if I ever have a problem or tear it down that far, I'll replace the screws. But this looks like a firewood saw since new and never saw hard use. It was retired by the previous guy 15 years ago for a lighter saw (I don't blame him, ha ha). It'll be great for milling that future cabin I want to build!
At this point I think you probably know more about the brake parts than I do.
Mine came to me much the same way yours did, also with no chain brake & was pretty clear it had never had one. I'd like one for mine if I could find the parts but they seem to be a bit like hens teeth

You will need almost every thing except 3,6,and maybe 8.
As far as those case screws, replace with torx screws asap. The next thing you see will be the case gasket coming out the bottom. Number one repair on these saws. Have a few in the dead pile for just this reason. Mostly 042s.

Back