Stihl 048 vs 038 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thewierd1

Reaction score
Good day all,
Been a lurker for awhile now, but managed to pick up a nice 028AV(runs mint) and an 048AV (not running) as a package deal for $200.
The 048 looks to be in goodish condition and looks like it would run. I have a new recoil spring on the way after it snapped on me, but the compression was good before that.
The big glaring issue before I put anymore $ into this thing is weather or not I can find a brake band assembly. Where I'd be working is in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception - so I'd like to be safe. Of course someone either broke it or outright removed the brake band assy because it is non existent. I know the 048 is hard to find for parts, but was wondering if the brake band off an 038 might fit it...... if so there's a bunch of those kicking around. None for the 048 that I can find.
Part number differences are : 048: 1117 160 5401, and the 038: 1119 160 5401.

in pictures they look awful similar to each other.

Thanks for the help! Glad to be here.

There's two different styles of brake bands for the 048 - so you'll want to verify if yours used the old or new style.

It looks like the most prominent difference between the 038 and 048 brake bands is how the rear of the band attaches to the
case - the rear of the 038 band uses a dowel, where the newer-style 048 brand settles into a groove with a locking pin.

Apart from that - the biggest difference is likely the diameter. If the clutch drum diameters are much different, then it's likely
not possible to make an 038 band work with the 048 case.

Latest posts

Back