Very early Stihl 038 chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humppa

Reaction score
Anyone else have a very early Stihl 038? I was just wondering whether these first ones should have a pin holding the brake band like the later ones do? I have attached images of the setup I have. I do not remember whether there was a pin in the brake band before I disassembled it but the hole has interesting small pin inside it. Image is bit blurry so it is hard to see though. Does later 038's have this small pin? Also I have seen some saws have a plastic stopper thingy under the rotating hand guard lever, does anyone have a part number for that?

Attachments

• DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 0
That IPL is for newer 038, the parts my saw has are different. That's why I was asking whether anyone else has early 038 so I know what I am missing or not, or if someone has early model IPL. I know the newer ones have a pin, but I wonder whether these early ones had. Also due to small pin in the hole I think the newer model pin wouldn't even fit.

Thank you, will try the newer pin.

Got any info about the plastic thingy located underneath the rotating hand guard arm that stops the hand guard movement? Like this user has in his saw: https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...in-brake-and-ignition-parts-questions.358719/

It seems to stop the hand guard from moving too much forward, and in mine which it is missing it hand guard moves "abnormal amount forward" when you engage the chain brake. Almost touching the chain. Probably unobtanium part, but one can always try. Doesn't seem too complicated, maybe I could 3d print it from nylon or something. Or maybe I should just install later chain brake... But I would like to keep the saw original, don't see many of these early models around.

Bit off topic but another 038 question: if someone knows whether the magnesium tank ones also should have two narrow rubber buffer rings like the plastic ones have, that would be helpful. The diameter in the magnesium tank is bigger than the plastic one, so had to stretch the rubber rings really much to fit the magnesium tank and they want to slip off, fits the plastic one perfectly though.

Latest posts

Back