What parts should I stock up on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Drama over something is stupid as chain sharpening is crazy. Got to love boomers.
yeah no kidding, its not rocket surgery, anyone that says or thinks otherwise is retarded
its easy, theres nothing to it besides make it sharp and somewhat the right angle, I dont touch the rakers but every 5th or 6th sharpen since im not taking hardly any tooth off
sharpen before its dull and itll never take more than a few minutes, wait till its dull and you may as well throw that chain out and buy a new one

I never sharpen on the saw anymore, I always swap chains when they start to cut slow

The generation that can’t figure out their gender and thinks their are more than two are talking smack on the boomers? That’s hilarious.
wrong is wrong, doesn't matter how old you are, white, black, old, young, if you are wrong I will tell you, sure is hilarious that I have to go through this crap because some moron thinks ive never sharpened a chain before

I have to admit that was some fast grinding, but not enough hook for me. My hands get cramps so bad now it takes me quite awhile to file a saw, but can't beat a good ol Nicholson Black Diamond file.
I dont like a steep hook on the chains, goes dull quicker
I run short bars on big saws so im not worried about the power to pull the chain, also I do 25 degree instead of 30 for this same reason, chisel not knife sorta deal

yeah no kidding, its not rocket surgery, anyone that says or thinks otherwise is retarded
its easy, theres nothing to it besides make it sharp and somewhat the right angle, I dont touch the rakers but every 5th or 6th sharpen since im not taking hardly any tooth off
sharpen before its dull and itll never take more than a few minutes, wait till its dull and you may as well throw that chain out and buy a new one

I never sharpen on the saw anymore, I always swap chains when they start to cut slow
Suggestion, @Mr.Metsä & @ZinTrees
Since you see no value in our input - how about y'all just trade input between you two and leave the rest of us out? Then you'll only have high value opinions of a couple kids.

Since you see no value in our input - how about y'all just trade input between you two and leave the rest of us out? Then you'll only have high value opinions of a couple kids.
then dont respond, pretty simple if I do say so myself
we do share input between ourselves daily btw, I just got off the phone with metsa actually

Some of yall give valid advice, but all the rest make a form about parts and eBay into one about sex jokes.

ok, so far they havent had anything worthwhile to say so id say theres little to no loss

I find it odd that when you are challenged to show a chain sharpening on video, you only do a partial chain sharpening. While it is true that taking down the depth gauges isn't essential each time, you are admitting that you didn't do a complete job.

I find it remarkable that you have three more right-side cutters on that first chain than you do left-side cutters. Methinks you may have been skipping a few spots. That's ok, I'm sure they didn't need sharpening anyway.

You started with a chain mounted in the grinder, ready to grind, no adjustments to make. Another step that got skipped.

Now this whole thing got started when you said you could do a large collection of other people's chains in a small amount of time. For any puppy to suggest that he can sharpen 10-20 chains in 15 minutes, especially truly dull ones that can't be "touched" in order to sharpen, then your 5 minute partial-sharpening video has proven my point.

I never said you couldn't do a "pretend" sharpening of throwing sparks off of every tooth. I think I also mentioned "before" pics, too, so that we could tell if you were making a pretend sharpening out of it. Alas. My concerns have been confirmed.

A reminder:
Not let's not argue about this, either. Just post up a video with two chains being sharpened in three minutes. Be sure to include setup time. Before and after closeups are required, too, at least if you want credit for having done it correctly.

Take this fight to political forum.

I'm afraid it doesn't belong there.

Besides! There is some actual sense to this conversation, as each side is presenting some valid points. Just because some of the participants are tossing out insults, that doesn't mean that the conversation belongs down in the "rational thought-vacuum" forum.

I find it odd that when you are challenged to show a chain sharpening on video, you only do a partial chain sharpening. While it is true that taking down the depth gauges isn't essential each time, you are admitting that you didn't do a complete job.

I find it remarkable that you have three more right-side cutters on that first chain than you do left-side cutters. Methinks you may have been skipping a few spots. That's ok, I'm sure they didn't need sharpening anyway.

You started with a chain mounted in the grinder, ready to grind, no adjustments to make. Another step that got skipped.

Now this whole thing got started when you said you could do a large collection of other people's chains in a small amount of time. For any puppy to suggest that he can sharpen 10-20 chains in 15 minutes, especially truly dull ones that can't be "touched" in order to sharpen, then your 5 minute partial-sharpening video has proven my point.

I never said you couldn't do a "pretend" sharpening of throwing sparks off of every tooth. I think I also mentioned "before" pics, too, so that we could tell if you were making a pretend sharpening out of it. Alas. My concerns have been confirmed.

A reminder:
Who leaves dull chains lying around?

Latest posts

Back