What parts should I stock up on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
might be 20 minutes, most all I get in to sharpen are 20" which doesnt take me 2 minutes each, and yes thats doing them right, im not going to argue with you as arguing with stupid people is impossible anyways

So don't argue. Just put up the video. Two 18" chains would be extra good. You got 4 minutes.

That really does not make any sense.
I'm sort of the opinion that you have likely never sharpened a chain at all.
no sense in grinding off more than you have to just to fix a little ding in the cutting edge, itll grind out in 2 or 3 sharpens and every tooth will be the same length which is more important than a perfect cutting edge
ive sharpened thousands of chains, been doing tree work for 4 years, why would I lie about being able to sharpen? the fact you would assume that kinda gives me an idea that you havent a clue what you are talking about

no sense in grinding off more than you have to just to fix a little ding in the cutting edge, itll grind out in 2 or 3 sharpens and every tooth will be the same length which is more important than a perfect cutting edge
ive sharpened thousands of chains, been doing tree work for 4 years, why would I lie about being able to sharpen? the fact you would assume that kinda gives me an idea that you havent a clue what you are talking about

Always so defensive- but never putting up to prove the point.
Just do the video with a stopwatch running beside the grinder.

For what it is worth- each tooth on a chain does not have to be the exact same length- it just has to be sharp and match its depth gauge that it corresponds to.
Sure it wont run as perfect steady as a full even one- but not enough to be noticeable and you are not taking a tonne off most to match one or two short.

Well, I think I have sharpened two maybe.. They work better if the cutters are the same length, more or less.

In my two chains the rock , or nail , or barbed wire caught more than one tooth.

Way to go Kid- pick a fight with Admin staff members.
I refuse to put effort into getting along with people, either it works or it doesnt
Well, I think I have sharpened two maybe.. They work better if the cutters are the same length, more or less.

In my two chains the rock , or nail , or barbed wire caught more than one tooth.
sometimes I get them to only nick one tooth, always a rock that does that, but yeah 5 or 10 teeth at once isnt uncommon, just make it "sharp" and go onto the next

I quit hitting the ground, and have only once hit metal in a tree, for the most part my chains look pretty much new

I refuse to put effort into getting along with people, either it works or it doesnt

sometimes I get them to only nick one tooth, always a rock that does that, but yeah 5 or 10 teeth at once isnt uncommon, just make it "sharp" and go onto the next

I quit hitting the ground, and have only once hit metal in a tree, for the most part my chains look pretty much new

Yeah, na- thats pretty obvious you do not put a lot of time and/or thought into communicating with folk or accepting there are other views and opinions out there besides your own, but at your age I guess the only positive is you have time to learn.

Four years in the tree service game- only rock one tooth at a time, only cut metal once- you cutting saplings only?

I don't have any 18" chains, but I've got some 20"ers

Is get a video but sun's down, remind me tomorrow and I'll get a video

20's be good.
Sun going down? Do you grind outdoors?

Just remember- stopwatch countdown running in screen and paper with ZinTrees written on it in shot- so we can see it is you and in real time.

20's be good.
Sun going down? Do you grind outdoors?

Just remember- stopwatch countdown running in screen and paper with ZinTrees written on it in shot- so we can see it is you and in real time.
I grind indoors but my shop is detached and down a steep slippery hill, just rained here and the clay turns to snot

Back