What parts should I stock up on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sharpening thing could be IT.
Figure out how to do it extremely well and cheap. Logistics will be the challenge though.

Electric saws and equipment is the future, your young enough to not be stuck in your ways like most old guys are, I would try to figure out how to repair broken electric stuff as well, maybe even dedicate more energy twords that for the long run

There certainly isn't much expertise at repairing electric chainsaws running around on the market.

I'll tell you where some money can be made: disassembling all those run-down, useless old batteries and re-soldering new ones back into the old electronics. This is a great way to defeat all the planned obsolescence put in by the manufacturers. This is particularly true for older models that have simply discontinued the old batteries, but your device works great.

Some of the batteries come with recycle counters that will execute a "kill" on the batteries after a certain number of charge cycles. Resetting that counter or bypassing it can be rather digitally tricky. There isn't much of a market for it, either, as the device is usually not expensive enough to justify a high-tech solution for an easily replaced tool.

You could probably make a killing on restoring Milwaukee, Ridgid, and Ryobi, and there is perhaps a solid revenue stream for restoring DJI drone batteries. First, you need to find a good source of reliable lithium batteries. There area LOT of Chinese brands that promise the sky on their milliamp ratings, but those lies are for gullible chumps that are looking for a cheap solution but lack the wisdom to know that you get what you pay for. Sometimes.

There are people that do it:
https://www.sevarg.net/2018/09/02/tool-battery-teardowns-craftsman-192v/
I pretty much threw away my Ridgid multi-tool that used this little 12v battery pack. They just didn't last, and Ridgid wanted stupid amounts of money for the replacements.

But I think that I'll just stick to sharpening chainsaw chains. I'll sell what I have on there now and then when it's gone I'm done.

In my experience, there is no decent money to be made by sharpening saws. It takes too long to make a decent wage. Most shops do it just to attract the customers in the door for other sales opportunities. Even then, I think many of the hardware stores farm out the actual sharpening to someone else that just grinds all day long.

They seldom adjust the rakers, either.

Do you guys think that saw repair would be a better way to do saw stuff if I start small?
I sure do, learn as much as you can and one day you will be amazing. The key is you need dedication, hard work, discipline, and stick too it longs.

If you want to do saw repair, chain sharpening, lawnmower blade sharpening, weed eater, blowers, whatever, you really need a separate location than your home because people will aggravate the piss out of you.

And, there is a psychological aspect that if you work from your home people do not expect to pay you what they will pay a business. Right or wrong.

If it is a business you need to post your hours and you had better be there the hours posted or you will soon be out of business.

We get $6 a chain off the saw and $9 if we take it off. Somebody is sharpening chains about 2 hours a day. Bring them in one day, ready by noon the next.

We (or they I should say) make $50,000 a year just making keys.

Lots of ways to make money.

If you want to do saw repair, chain sharpening, lawnmower blade sharpening, weed eater, blowers, whatever, you really need a separate location than your home because people will aggravate the piss out of you.

And, there is a psychological aspect that if you work from your home people do not expect to pay you what they will pay a business. Right or wrong.

If it is a business you need to post your hours and you had better be there the hours posted or you will soon be out of business.

We get $6 a chain off the saw and $9 if we take it off. Somebody is sharpening chains about 2 hours a day. Bring them in one day, ready by noon the next.

Well hell, he should just be a banker if he wants money! Have you seen the rates?

In my experience, there is no decent money to be made by sharpening saws. It takes too long to make a decent wage. Most shops do it just to attract the customers in the door for other sales opportunities. Even then, I think many of the hardware stores farm out the actual sharpening to someone else that just grinds all day long.

They seldom adjust the rakers, either.
I dont do it day in and day out as my only job, but occasionally a friend will drop off 10 or 20 chains for me, give me 15 minutes or so and theres $150-300
yes I charge double what the saw shops do, but they also plow off half the tooth instead of taking almost nothing off, ive got chains that are years old and cut great that look nearly new
also I run different angles than the shops do, geared towards hickory and red oak, they stay sharp for days of hard use as long as theres no nails or dirt
would I sharpen chains as a 9-5 no but it makes me decent money on the side, but thats only because I fill a niche for "custom chain sharpening" and also you bring me chains, sit in your truck for a few minutes and they are done instead of waiting till the next work day

You are living in fantasy land if you think you can sharpen 10 chains in 15 minutes and still do it right.

Not let's not argue about this, either. Just post up a video with two chains being sharpened in three minutes. Be sure to include setup time. Before and after closeups are required, too, at least if you want credit for having done it correctly.

A man that sharpens chains every day has no reason to take off any more tooth than necessary.
If it is rocked on one side or both, or just been in the dirt and rounded off, it is what it is.
exactly, I basically just make the tooth shiny and pointy, I don't mess with rock chips or anything, waste of time and chain

You are living in fantasy land if you think you can sharpen 10 chains in 15 minutes and still do it right.

Not let's not argue about this, either. Just post up a video with two chains being sharpened in three minutes. Be sure to include setup time. Before and after closeups are required, too, at least if you want credit for having done it correctly.
might be 20 minutes, most all I get in to sharpen are 20" which doesnt take me 2 minutes each, and yes thats doing them right, im not going to argue with you as arguing with stupid people is impossible anyways

I think he uses his grinder and one of these:
20231217_130220.jpg

This is my project while I wait for all the parts for my 015.

Back