Craftsman 3.7 rebuild! Lots of pics! Update, 11/24/2016 finished!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So it is Saturday night. What is a single guy supposed to do but rebuild chainsaws?! I got this saw from a dear friend of mine named Jim. I only really got to know him for a year before he passed. But he opened the door for me to become a wood carver, and I have now started taking prizes for some of my woodcarvings. But, back to the topic at hand, chainsaws. I have had this saw for a little over a year, see the original thread here: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ut-this-old-craftsman-saw-pic-warning.279053/

So I have been wanting to do a really good rebuild and this saw justice, for my friend. First things first, it is FILTHY!

Craftsman 3.7 001.JPG Craftsman 3.7 002.JPG Craftsman 3.7 003.JPG

I had actually cleaned it a little just to get it this far apart. Sat down with a bucket of soapy water, a cheap paint brush and a bathroom bristle brush.
Craftsman 3.7 008.JPG Craftsman 3.7 009.JPG Craftsman 3.7 010.JPG

Much better!!! I also cleaned the old base gasket off the cylinder base. I am hoping to measure the squish as I reassemble with a view toward sanding the base. No lathe but some sandpaper and a plate of glass should get it.
Pics of cylinder. Not sure what is up with the polished areas.
Craftsman 3.7 004.JPG Craftsman 3.7 005.JPG Craftsman 3.7 006.JPG Craftsman 3.7 007.JPG .
@backhoelover @HarleyT

I just can't get over how much better it looks. I am going to replace the oiler gasket but the old one broke in two piece when I was trying to remove it. That will be a slight challenge

I just asked this a new thread but since u brought it up on the saw I have, what is squish? Deleting the base gasket and the can sits lower correct?whats that do mechanically?

-Efisher26-

Squish is the distance between the top of the piston and the bottom of the combustion chamber or squish band. It is one of many factors deciding your compression. Delete the base gasket and the cylinder sits lower, possible retarding timing slightly but increasing compression. Sanding the base of the cylinder helps to achieve the target squish, usually around 0.020. I have to measure my squish first before I can delete the base gasket.

Should have split the case when the first seal hung and bit the case. Like an idiot, I didn't. So now I get to split the case and order another seal cause I used two. Both deformed and bit the case. Dang tricky to install. @Modifiedmark was right. :oops:

They are a bit challenging, but if your careful and pay attention there not all that bad compared to some. I know you seen the pictures I posted before on putting a bevel on the case with a round stone in a drill if the case is split. I know I have also shown how I can take a pocket knife and cut a bevel on it if the case still has the crank in it. You also need a correct size driver for it and a seal protector to slip on the crank when putting the seal in.

You think these are tricky, you ought to try to put seals in some of the old sandcast saws, those are really tiny and the PTO side uses two of them. Pulling them is the real challenge.. 100_4590 (Custom).JPG

Thanks. Trying to get them to start not crooked is hard. I am new to mechainical stuff like this. I seem to have a small knaack for it but I cannot figure out where I got it. I don't know of anyone else in my family tree mechainally inclined.

Do you think I have messed up the case seal trying to pull it apart? I am thinking not because it isn't apart yet. I am not even sure I was able to budge it. Maybe just slightly. Thanks Mark. I made a protector out of an old piece of a hand soap pump. It doesn't fit over the lower step but goes right up to it. Leaves just a small height difference. I have to push the seal just a bit to get it over the step. Also took a couple of bites out of the case with the deformed seals. No burr on the inside of the seal surface though.

I use sockets or pvc pipe

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

Also took a couple of bites out of the case with the deformed seals. No burr on the inside of the seal surface though.

If you look at the picture I posted, you can see I used some MotoSeal around the seal, its cheap insurance in case there is a nick in the case to make sure it seals well.

It is finished! Split case and resealed. Base gasket delete, dremeled the intake block and a muffler mod, drilled the internal deflector out and louvered the muffler. Sharp chain too. The fourth picture is the saw ready to be vac/pressure tested and the fifth and sixth are off the new motoseal on the case.

Attachments

• 3.7 finished 001.JPG
    3.7 finished 001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 3.7 finished 004.JPG
    3.7 finished 004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 3.7 finished 007.JPG
    3.7 finished 007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 3.7 finished 012.JPG
    3.7 finished 012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • photos 064.JPG
    photos 064.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • photos 065.JPG
    photos 065.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • photos 066.JPG
    photos 066.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • photos 068.JPG
    photos 068.JPG
    876.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.7 finished 003.JPG
    3.7 finished 003.JPG
    982.8 KB · Views: 25
It is finished! Split case and resealed. Base gasket delete, dremeled the intake block and a muffler mod, drilled the internal deflector out and louvered the muffler. Sharp chain too. The fourth picture is the saw ready to be vac/pressure tested and the fifth and sixth are off the new motoseal on the case.
Looks real good. Should be real strong.

The only 3800 I've ever seen had poulan colors and said 3800, I'd assume yours is a "craftsman 3.7" like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back