262xp rebuild questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Rebuilding a 262xp for a friend. Dirtiest saw I have ever seen. Had so much oil and sawdust buildup that the vented cover on the flywheel side, the vents were 80% clogged up. I don’t believe it had ever been cleaned, since 199? Piston and cylinder are scored beyond repair. Low air flow on cooling cause that? Compression is 70psi. He said it hadn’t ran in 4 years. If I can’t find a oem kit, what is the best aftermarket brand cylinder kit? What should the squish be set at? Squish is set by the thickness of the base gasket correct? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 7BBF45C2-79EA-47CA-B639-A20B5EB8CDB0.jpeg
    7BBF45C2-79EA-47CA-B639-A20B5EB8CDB0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 6A444BBD-64D0-40E2-977C-493A76916919.jpeg
    6A444BBD-64D0-40E2-977C-493A76916919.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I’ll let more experienced folks chime in on squish, but yes, the base gasket thickness is one thing that affects that.

Troll ebay for a p/c. Meteor is supposed to be good too.

There was someone on this site or the other site that had a good oem cylinder for sale quite recently. Then get a Meteor piston assembly and new bearing and you are on your way. There are 2 different thicknesses of oem base gasket. Check squish without a gasket and go from there. Easy enough to make your own base gasket as well. Before installing the piston, put the cylinder on and do a crankcase pressure/vacuum test to ensure the crank seals are still good. Actually, considering the age of the saw, it may be wise to replace those seals regardless of your test results.

I’m having a hard time finding a piston / cylinder kit that will tell me who’s brand it is. All I’m getting is that it is aftermarket. A little scary. HL Supply sells a New West brand kit, from Taiwan I think. Does anybody know if that a good brand, good quality?

I’m having a hard time finding a piston / cylinder kit that will tell me who’s brand it is. All I’m getting is that it is aftermarket. A little scary. HL Supply sells a New West brand kit, from Taiwan I think. Does anybody know if that a good brand, good quality?
Did you see the link to the oem cylinder 2 posts up? ^^

AM cylinders are a crapshoot regardless of who makes them. When the plating flakes off it’s usually hard on the crank and bearings also

Did you see the link to the oem cylinder 2 posts up? ^^

AM cylinders are a crapshoot regardless of who makes them. When the plating flakes off it’s usually hard on the crank and bearings also
Yes. I went to the link, I sent a couple of messages to the seller but haven’t got a response back yet. I may not be doing it right. I’m better with a chainsaw than I am a computer. Would love to get that one if I could. Would a Meteor piston to go with it be a good move?

Yes. I went to the link, I sent a couple of messages to the seller but haven’t got a response back yet. I may not be doing it right. I’m better with a chainsaw than I am a computer. Would love to get that one if I could. Would a Meteor piston to go with it be a good move?
Yessir it would be a fine match.

If you click on that users screen name, this will pop up. And then you click “start a conversation” circled in red.

Some folks forget they have items for sale and aren’t on the site every day and it may take some time.

E8227F13-4FFF-42B8-B501-F60569C3342E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back