ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Craigslist laughs

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by coog, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Multifaceted

Multifaceted Firewood Hoarder, Axe Junkie

If you're going to pay that kind of money for firewood, might as well have it split, properly seasoned and delivered... I've never had to pay for firewood, so I suppose I wouldn't know any better. Just seems excessive.

Dahmer, jrider and PA Dan like this.
  2. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

Typical tree starts at a large dia at the base and then goes down in size as the rounds extend up into the limbs. I cut a 36in redoak out of my yard a few months back. I didnt count the number of rounds, 150 sounds like a reasonable number. I mixed the wood with other wood in my stacks so I dont have a measurement as to how it added up in cords numbers. My best guess would be a little over a cord, maybe a cord and a half. I know I could have purchased a lot more wood, and had it split delivered and stacked, for less than this asking price.

Dahmer and Multifaceted like this.
  3. Multifaceted

Multifaceted Firewood Hoarder, Axe Junkie

How much does a cord of seasoned oak split cost these days? $250? $400??

Let's assume that those rounds are cut at 18" (18*150)/12=225 foot. Let's also assume that they were roughly two relatively large oaks, say, 100' tall or so. Seems a reasonable height for a tree that has a base upwards of 36".

the last time I cut up one large oak that was about the same height and width of one of the two I'm estimating — I got about one cord of wood stacked. For simplicity, let us assume that what is there is two cords of wood once split and stacked. If we err on the high side of a cord of oak already split and properly seasoned ($400) — so $800 for two cords already seasoned and split, compared to $1,100 for "seasoned" rounds (how does un-split oak season as a round???) — plus you are required to haul it away, then split it, season it, and stack it. You're basically paying this person an additional $300 for maybe two cord's worth price — to do most of the work, time, and effort in actually processing it into firewood.

Seems like a s**t deal to me, but what would I know, I get all of my wood for free. Free is a relative term, as there is a cost for everything, like my time, effort, equipment/fuel, etc.

Dahmer, jrider and 95custmz like this.
  4. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Any time you have to pay some one a lot of money to do hard work, it’s a BAD deal. It’s not split so it’s not seasoned. You can buy 5 1/2 cord of split and seasoned Oak delivered for that price.

5. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I’m not in business to make a living. I sell enough firewood to pay for a couple hunting and fishing trips. I ell my wood to a few friends for $200 a cord delivered. Others in this area are selling for about $250. I sell an 8’ dump trailer of unsplit rounds, measured to 18” lengths, right around a cord, for $100.

Dahmer, 95custmz and Multifaceted like this.
  6. muddstopper

Prices are all over the board here. Part time firewooders price high and then lower prices when they cant sell it. A cord of split green wood can be had for around $200 delivered and possibly stacked. Log lenghts can be delivered and dumped for about $100 cord, 4cord at a load. That is about the minimum prices for wood around here. That same 1cord of green split wood can cost $300 and up and the log truck load can be $6-800 load. It just depends on the time of year and who has wood for sale. I can drive up on a logging site and get junk wood loaded on my trailer for free, of course its going to be knotty, hollow and usually big and odd lenghts.

Philbert and Dahmer like this.
  7. wrx-snowdrift

wrx-snowdrift ArboristSite Operative

8. Dahmer

Dahmer Addicted to ArboristSite

I’M RICH!!!!! The heck with using my rounds for heat.

wrx-snowdrift and rarefish383 like this.
  9. muddstopper

I can already tell I am wasting a lot of sellable products just throwing them in my stove.
    [​IMG]

Oldmaple, Dahmer and wrx-snowdrift like this.
  10. wrx-snowdrift

wrx-snowdrift ArboristSite Operative

Yep, a lot of people on this site are sitting on a gold mine. Just need a way to find the idiots that would actually buy this.

95custmz, Yarz and Dahmer like this.