Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the 1903 SF earthquake the buildings were either destroyed by the quake or fire, business was set up and conducted on water barrels, the top of the barrels was the barrel head.

Thanks Grizz, I assumed it was from using a Barrel as a table, but I didn't know where it originated

Doug :cheers:

Cash on the Barrelhead, is just an Expression, not sure of it's origin, but the same as saying, Cash on the Table, or Cash in Hand.

During the 1903 SF earthquake the buildings were either destroyed by the quake or fire, business was set up and conducted on water barrels, the top of the barrels was the barrel head.
Thanks for the insight! I didn't even think of that. I was thinking barrelhead was slang for some kind of saw.
Lee

Forgive my ignorance but what is a barrelhead?
I agree but come on! I like to negotiate as well but for $10 or $20 on something that's worth $1-200. People don't need to ask 2 or 3 times what it's worth. I don't even bother with those listings.
Thanks Grizz, I assumed it was from using a Barrel as a table, but I didn't know where it originated
Barrels were used as improvised tables just like we use milk crates and 5-gallon buckets as seats. Implies a simple transaction without a lot of fancy negotiation.

I agree but come on! I like to negotiate as well but for $10 or $20 on something that's worth $1-200. People don't need to ask 2 or 3 times what it's worth. I don't even bother with those listings.
Agreed.

But some people feel that by starting out ridiculously high, the other party will come up higher: e.g. 'meet in the middle', instead of determining a fair value. Pretty common practice in pawn shops, which peg the starting point near new replacement cost to establish a higher reference point. A 'win-lose' tactic.

You can ignore, walk away, or make an offer like, "It's worth $10 to me". They can accept it or not.

Philbert

Barrels were used as improvised tables just like we use milk crates and 5-gallon buckets as seats. Implies a simple transaction without a lot of fancy negotiation.

Agreed.

But some people feel that by starting out ridiculously high, the other party will come up higher: e.g. 'meet in the middle', instead of determining a fair value. Pretty common practice in pawn shops, which peg the starting point near new replacement cost to establish a higher reference point. A 'win-lose' tactic.

You can ignore, walk away, or make an offer like, "It's worth $10 to me". They can accept it or not.

Philbert
I know that's what people are hoping for with listings like that. I just feel like it's laughable and a little dishonest. That being said if a buyer doesn't do their due diligence it's on them if they pay too much. I just don't like doing business that way. I personally sell things for what I believe is a fair price. If I don't have an idea what something is worth I will put it on ebay. That's what that site is for.

Lee

I appreciate the info, but if I have to Nit Pick, the Great San Francisco (Now San FranFeces) Earthquake and Fire, was 1906 ;)

Just keeping History Accurate
Hey Some need to be Corrected that Obama was the WORST President in US History, and Trump has been the Best President we have had since at Least Reagan, just keeping History ACCURATE, you know:)

Yep, hadnt had my second cup yet when I responded! :laugh:

That's okay, at least you were being Nice, my Wife is a SELF PROCLAIMED *****, until her Second cup in the morning.

She gives Fair Warning though, Nobody get between ME and the Coffee Pot, and Nobody gets HURT.

I Love my Wife Dearly, would be Lost without her, But get between her and her Coffee in the Morning, Hell NO, not even on a Dare, I'm Brave, Not FOOLISH

Somewhere around here there is a ‘highly valuable black walnut’ thread. Lots of entertainment.

Yep, I think that might be Second only to a Lawn Chair, a Full Cooler, and a Public Boat Ramp, Now THAT is one of the Best Values in Entertainment you will ever find

Yep, I think that might be Second only to a Lawn Chair, a Full Cooler, and a Public Boat Ramp, Now THAT is one of the Best Values in Entertainment you will ever find

especially fishing opener, first weekend of the season. I know that sounds rude, but it is entertaining

Can't remember if I posted it earlier in the thread but there is a guy up here trying to sell a blue coil Homelite SEZ with recoil removed and recoil spring all over the place for $150.

That one is not moving quickly either.

Latest posts

Back