• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Cucumbers

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
No idea. Just outdoor homegrown weed. It's a lot less robust in the greenhouse. Taller, skinnier, wimpier. we'll see.

mild. Not stinky. Just the way I like it for occasional use. I don't know wth I'm going to do with all of it, actually.

I'm way more excited about the corn. I saw silks today!

holeycow

holeycow

We have been battling caterpillars and slugs a bit in the greenhouse, as well as aphids. Also, we don't (can't) effectively pollinate the cucs by hand because we have things a little (perhaps a lot) too crowded.

So, we've been catching lady bugs and bumble bees like crazy to put them in greenhouse jail for a while. Together with lots of existing spiders and other bugs and the coming-and-going snake we hope we'll get a balance.

what eats slugs?

how are your cucs doing TNT?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
We have been battling caterpillars and slugs a bit in the greenhouse, as well as aphids. Also, we don't (can't) effectively pollinate the cucs by hand because we have things a little (perhaps a lot) too crowded.

So, we've been catching lady bugs and bumble bees like crazy to put them in greenhouse jail for a while. Together with lots of existing spiders and other bugs and the coming-and-going snake we hope we'll get a balance.

what eats slugs?

how are your cucs doing TNT?
They're not.... just dragging along. There were tons of flowers, then lots of little baby cukes, but everything is just kind of withering away. I'm getting enough to eat on every day though, so I can't complain.

As for your slugs, I think I read some time ago that they like beer. Rig some kind of trap with beer in it and they either drown, or get drunk and can't get out. :laugh:
How do you catch ladybugs and bumble bees??? :surprised3:

holeycow

holeycow

Both my wife and I have forgotten to pick up beer the last times we were in town. Our plan is to feed the slimy buggers beer.

feed your cucs epsom salts. Yes. Epsom salts. About a tablespoon or two per quart of water. Magnesium. They will like that. Especially while flowering. Worth a try. Keep the soil moist. Do your pots have drain holes? Water them until they start to drain. Fish fertilizer never hurts in normal amounts.., but magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) will help almost for sure at the flowering stage.

as for catching bugs, well you just catch them. In your hands, in a jar, whatever. Bumblebees and ladybugs are docile and slow-ish. Easy to catch.

so are garter snakes easy to catch. Easy-ish.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Both my wife and I have forgotten to pick up beer the last times we were in town. Our plan is to feed the slimy buggers beer.

feed your cucs epsom salts. Yes. Epsom salts. About a tablespoon or two per quart of water. Magnesium. They will like that. Especially while flowering. Worth a try. Keep the soil moist. Do your pots have drain holes? Water them until they start to drain. Fish fertilizer never hurts in normal amounts.., but magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) will help almost for sure at the flowering stage.

as for catching bugs, well you just catch them. In your hands, in a jar, whatever. Bumblebees and ladybugs are docile and slow-ish. Easy to catch.

so are garter snakes easy to catch. Easy-ish.
I'll try to remember and get some more advice from you next spring when I start over .
The pots have drain holes, but I think my problem may be the soil - I got lazy and used what was leftover in the pots from last year. Most likely all the nutrients were spent.
I can't remember the last time I saw a ladybug, or a bumble bee.:( Plenty of wasps, mosquitoes, and carpenter bees though.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just planted cukes for the third time. They are up just a couple of inches.
I did a second planting of a few seeds too.
I think since this batch looks so pitiful, I'll start over with fresh soil and see what happens.
What kind did you plant? What do you have them growing in/on?
Did you have any the first and second planting?

Del_

Career arborist
I did a second planting of a few seeds too.
I think since this batch looks so pitiful, I'll start over with fresh soil and see what happens.
What kind did you plant? What do you have them growing in/on?
Did you have any the first and second planting?
We are growing Markenmore80 this year.

Yes, the first two planting did well but the plants get disease easy so we succession plant. We are on our 5 planting of squash and green beans.

We grow in the soil and have about 3,000 sq. ft. of garden.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
We are growing Markenmore80 this year.

Yes, the first two planting did well but the plants get disease easy so we succession plant. We are on our 5 planting of squash and green beans.

We grow in the soil and have about 3,000 sq. ft. of garden.
Nice!
I just now finished putting up 7 lbs of green beans someone at work gave me today.
The whole time I'm thinking about time, effort, and expense of diy beans vs. canned beans. Not sure they're worth it. Same for tomatoes... Delmonte makes a damn good diced tomato. :)
If I were retired and and had a green thumb, I'd probably have a different opinion.

holeycow

holeycow

We just had a snack; steamed green and yellow beans with butter. Mmmmm.

do you know what's in those canned foods? Neither do I.

get poop and your thumb will naturally get greener. Get poop from someone who doesnt use a bunch of chemicals in their animal production...