Custom 346XP Felling Dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 346 gets maybe 4 days at the most down time. that was a pic after i quickly installed the bar and chain after figuring out an issue. i don't run my chain that loose. i'm not saying the OP's dawgs are no good either by the way. i used to have a set very similar before i got these. that set went on my old 353 before i sold it. i found they didn't bite the bark good enough on alot of the tree's here. they shredded the bark more then bite it. those are the perfect dawgs for thin bark tree's. it's all about what your cutting and the bigger spikes just worked better for me. i know alot of people hate big dawgs but cut here and you will learn to appreciate them.

Westcoast, those do look nice. I thought about making large spikes but I figured I would benefit more with greater bar length by keeping the spikes shorter. Overall, only 1/4" was lost from the factory spike. I did want more "bite" below the bar.

Yes, the 575 arrived at my door. Teardown begins this weekend. I have 3 other sets. If anyone is interested. Again, 11 gauge stainless steel. For shelf queen 346's they can polish up to look like a mirror.

my 346 gets maybe 4 days at the most down time. that was a pic after i quickly installed the bar and chain after figuring out an issue. i don't run my chain that loose. i'm not saying the OP's dawgs are no good either by the way. i used to have a set very similar before i got these. that set went on my old 353 before i sold it. i found they didn't bite the bark good enough on alot of the tree's here. they shredded the bark more then bite it. those are the perfect dawgs for thin bark tree's. it's all about what your cutting and the bigger spikes just worked better for me. i know alot of people hate big dawgs but cut here and you will learn to appreciate them.

Who cares? On a Husqy those double dogs are for looks only. Everyone already knows that they mess up that lovely sideways balance. Then, you can't actually use them to dawg in the cut because the 346 has no torque. The only benefit you might receive would be the shortening of effective bar length to reduce the torque requirement while in the cut.

Westcoast, those do look nice. I thought about making large spikes but I figured I would benefit more with greater bar length by keeping the spikes shorter. Overall, only 1/4" was lost from the factory spike. I did want more "bite" below the bar.

Yes, the 575 arrived at my door. Teardown begins this weekend. I have 3 other sets. If anyone is interested. Again, 11 gauge stainless steel. For shelf queen 346's they can polish up to look like a mirror.

Thanks again and I look forward to the set for my 262xp too.

I only had my 346 (used) for a couple months, and only put a couple tanks of fuel through it, when an opportunity to do some trading with Mastermind presented itself. I should have it back soon and will put these spikes on it right away. I'll be primarily cutting Madrone and Oak with it. Oak having thin bark and Madrone having a rind. This little screamer should be ideal.

I only had my 346 (used) for a couple months, and only put a couple tanks of fuel through it, when an opportunity to do some trading with Mastermind presented itself. I should have it back soon and will put these spikes on it right away. I'll be primarily cutting Madrone and Oak with it. Oak having thin bark and Madrone having a rind. This little screamer should be ideal.

Good job. I like the size. Most people that make custom spikes... make them stupidly large. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back