Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know what kind of felling spikes might be compatible to put on a Sears D-44 chainsaw? The original design has no mounting holes. I have one that does have a set of dogs on it but it was drilled and installed by the previous owner. They are on the front of the body, not the clutch cover. He did a fine job.

But I’d like to get a set of spikes for my other D-44 that will slip over the bar studs and tighten the stud nuts…similar to many of the larger Husqvarna chainsaws. I don’t really want to drill on the front of the saw to install spikes if I don’t have to. I’ve looked all over for a set of dogs based on the Sears part numbers but nada for the D-44.

Does anyone possibly have any ideas?

Thanks!

Sears or Mcculloch D44? Maybe post a picture? I've made my own spikes out of old tablesaw blades - pattered from an existing set but custom fit to a saw. If only installing one side, try to keep it close to the bar.
It’s a Sears D44. All my Mcculloch saws have awesome spikes on them! 😂

Here’s a picture
1685014410681.jpeg

OK, nice! I was concerned about the spikes under the bar nuts - maybe too far from the bar but it looks like it should work.
That is what I was thinking too but I don’t know the hole width on those husky chainsaws that mount up to the bar studs right off the bat. But worst case scenario I might need to widen one hole slightly and it slip over, possibly do a little bit of narrowing to the tang of the felling dog with a bench grinder or Dremel tool.

That is what I was thinking too but I don’t know the hole width on those husky chainsaws that mount up to the bar studs right off the bat. But worst case scenario I might need to widen one hole slightly and it slip over, possibly do a little bit of narrowing to the tang of the felling dog with a bench grinder or Dremel tool.
Can't hurt to try, just be safe.

. Like Buzz Sawyer states, you could always make a dog from an old 7 1/4 saw blade, that will fit over, and be secured by, the two bar bolts. I wouldn't mount a dog that was just secured by the one bolt. I would be worried about it moving around and marring that beautiful saw.

Precisely. I wouldn’t use a felling dog that only mounted to one bar stud. You’re right. Not only would it be dangerous, but yeah, that saw is pretty and I’d like to keep the finish intact for at least a few years or until someone might want to buy or trade for it and it still has its visual appeal.

This is the other Sears D-44 with the felling dogs from an old John Deere chainsaw installed afterwards. I like how it turned out but I’d rather not drill on the casing of the saw for the dogs to go on my red and white d-44.
Looks really nice. I have a D30, and a D45. I didn't know that Sears sold Macs. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

They aren’t Mac’s. But I wish they were! These are built by Roper. Roper also made a d-44 that is similar in nomenclature to the Mcculloch D-44.
I honestly wish Sears had Mac build their chainsaws.

The Sears/Roper D-44 is in a sad situation. It’s a really well built saw inside and out. Very durable internals and externals, and a pretty fairly powerful 77cc engine and the d-49 with a 80cc engine. Not to mention, they had iron bore sleeves.

They just never really carved out a niche with collectors despite how well made of a saw it is. But that’s a problem that’s to be expected with a saw that has a store brand stamp on it. Hopefully one day that’ll change though.

I have Sears saws made by Poulan, and I have one small saw, that was originally made by Poulan, but I am told was apparently made by Roper. I was just surprised to see that they were also making a Mac copy. Another learning experience.

I have Sears saws made by Poulan, and I have one small saw, that was originally made by Poulan, but I am told was apparently made by Roper. I was just surprised to see that they were also making a Mac copy. Another learning experience.
What does your Roper saw look like? There are a bunch of old Roper chainsaws that look like copies of a homelite xl-12. That design was borrowed by lots of different brands, and the Poulan 361 looks like one too. Mcculloch never really got in on that design.

Latest posts

Back