Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting small branches

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by Zinger, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Zinger

Zinger ArboristSite Lurker

So for the smaller diameter wood 2"-3" I was thinking of using the miter saw. The branches are fairly straight. Is there an easier way to cut them to firewood length? A chainsaw seems a bit much plus I have no way to hold the branches down.

2. Echo-man

Echo-man ArboristSite Lurker

I just did this a couple weeks ago. Cut up a bunch of small stuff for my outdoor fireplace.

3. thombat4

thombat4 ArboristSite Guru

You might want to try one of these chainsaw buddies...Northerntool used to carry them but it seems you have to order them directly from the chainsaw buddy website now. Here's the link:http://www.chainsawbuddy.com/howitworks.htm

I think I may get one myself.

4. TJ-Bill

TJ-Bill Addicted to ArboristSite

Thats pretty cool,
    I just normally pile them up and step on them as I cut. thought about using a chop but the chain saw was right there..

5. BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark Addicted to ArboristSite

woodbooga likes this.
  6. woodbooga

woodbooga cords of mystic memory

I chop saw most anything less than 3" or 4". Make a pile off to one side and zing 'em through during the winter for kindling.

I know a guy who does some small scale maple sugaring and much of his fuel consists of construction debris, moslty 2x4s from contractor friends who know they can unload some of their bulk for free and cut down on disposal fees.

7. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

Band Saw Them

I'm blessed with a 12" band saw. I cut the branches to between 1" and 2" dia. and about 6' long. Rather than chain saw cross cut them, I throw them on top of the load and head home. Then I use the band saw to cut them to stove length.

The band saw may only have a 10" throat clearance, but with the branch at about a 45-degree angle to the blade, you can cut 18" lengths very easily by extending it beyond the saw housing.

8. 2FatGuys

2FatGuys ArboristSite Guru

A properly sharpened and tuned chainsaw will cut the small stuff MUCH more efficiently than any other method if done right. If you want to keep the small stuff for firewood, you can buck it down to firewood lengths BEFORE removing the limb from the trunk (as much as possible). That way the limb is safely held in place as you cut it. Once the tree (or large limb) is on the ground, we start at the bottom (thick end) of it, going up it cutting off the unuseable brush and leaving firewood thickness attached. We then start at the tips, cutting firewood lengths back toward the base. Using my 310, I can cut firewood sized pieces fastger than two people can load them. The key is in the order that you work the tree....