Cutting wood with poison vine on it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Neighbor had a section of Norway Maple crack off a big branch and of course I asked if I could cut it up for wood, the answer was yes but on closer inspection there is a poison vine attached to the section closest to the trunk where it cracked at but is still attached to the tree, the rest of the section is fine. I am thinking just cut from left to right and work my way up towards the poison vine and let it be, just let that section of wood there, I don't want to touch it and get poison nor do I want to burn wood that has it on it. I'm thinking even if I get some decent sized small branches and pulled it off like chopsticks that still is going to have the oils on if I am correct? Does anyone see any other way to do this or should I just stick to my plan and when I get to the section with poison on it as the Beatles sang "Let it be"?

Thank you, I don't feel like getting it on me, not worth it.

Neighbor had a section of Norway Maple crack off a big branch and of course I asked if I could cut it up for wood, the answer was yes but on closer inspection there is a poison vine attached to the section closest to the trunk where it cracked at but is still attached to the tree, the rest of the section is fine. I am thinking just cut from left to right and work my way up towards the poison vine and let it be, just let that section of wood there, I don't want to touch it and get poison nor do I want to burn wood that has it on it. I'm thinking even if I get some decent sized small branches and pulled it off like chopsticks that still is going to have the oils on if I am correct? Does anyone see any other way to do this or should I just stick to my plan and when I get to the section with poison on it as the Beatles sang "Let it be"?

Don't go near that crap! Its is a very low reward to risk.

Chances are that it may have the vine further than you think. Plus no way of knowing what it may have come in to contact with. Running a chainsaw on that is likely asking for trouble. The oil does not burn per say but vaporizes as such it is a hazard for many down wind. Takes quite a while for ultraviolet light from the Sun to breakdown the oil.

I just called the landlord that owns the rental property next door and left him a voicemail and apologized and told him I am not going to deal with it, if I had seen it beforehand I probably would not have asked, I'm sure he'll understand and if it doesn't well that's too bad. Last night I did carry a few pieces over and put them on my woodpile but they were already cut up by him and were from much higher up on the tree, I doubt they had any posion on it just green moss, and after I saw the poison I washed my hands about 5 times really good in cool water so I would think I'd be okay, we'll see.

Thanks for the advice, I just had a gnawing feeling inside that this wasn't something I'd want to tangle with after I saw it.

I just called the landlord that owns the rental property next door and left him a voicemail and apologized and told him I am not going to deal with it, if I had seen it beforehand I probably would not have asked, I'm sure he'll understand and if it doesn't well that's too bad. Last night I did carry a few pieces over and put them on my woodpile but they were already cut up by him and were from much higher up on the tree, I doubt they had any posion on it just green moss, and after I saw the poison I washed my hands about 5 times really good in cool water so I would think I'd be okay, we'll see.

Thanks for the advice, I just had a gnawing feeling inside that this wasn't something I'd want to tangle with after I saw it.
If you washed your hands shortly after and not hours later it has been my experience you won't get it, or it will be very light.

If you washed your hands shortly after and not hours later it has been my experience you won't get it, or it will be very light.
It was very soon after I carried a few pieces that were cut close to 18", I'm really anal about it being cut to that size or very close, and the landlord had cut pieces up to all different lengths, otherwise I probably would've carried more home, but it was only 3 pieces and soon after that I saw the poison on the trunk of the tree and came in and really scrubbed about 6 times. I also have Technu if it does appear but I think I'll be okay with just that limited amount and time around it.

No thanks!!

It was very soon after I carried a few pieces that were cut close to 18", I'm really anal about it being cut to that size or very close, and the landlord had cut pieces up to all different lengths, otherwise I probably would've carried more home, but it was only 3 pieces and soon after that I saw the poison on the trunk of the tree and came in and really scrubbed about 6 times. I also have Technu if it does appear but I think I'll be okay with just that limited amount and time around it.

No thanks!!
Technu helped me stop the itch after I had a lot of it.

You Are Right! The vine will continue to feed off the wood, as long as its rooted up the trunk.......despite being cut off. Rip it off and set it aside where it can be killed. Bathing with a herbicide is fruitless. That wood needs be sprayed with some diesel fuel.......and left to the fuel for the Shop/Barn wood burner.

Roots/vine? Thats the slippery slope. Good Luck!

Well hey this is an interesting thread so I thought I'd add my experience with the stuff: I haven't gotten poison ivy since I was a kid, I had an occasion where I played in the stuff and got it ALL OVER my entire body, that essentially has made me immune to it for the rest of my life (PA fuzzy vine poison) well last year I was clearing and bucking some storm downed trees and a bunch of them were covered in the stuff.. so no big deal I just bucked em and put em in the pile for the outdoor furnace.. well coming back a few days later, one of the bigger vines I had cut had oozed a black tar-like sap out the end of it and I happened to get that on my leg, I was in the woods where I couldn't clean it off so I left it there until I was done for the day.. well upon getting home and washing it off (not easy to do) I found it had BURNED A HOLE right through my skin! It took weeks to heal and now I've got a decent scar from it on the calf of my left leg!
So yeah, be careful around the stuff especially the sap! But you really don't have to treat it as if though it's cyanide, I had my wife with me that day and while she's not super sensitive to poison she does get it like a normal person and working all day with me didn't happen to get it in any real way.. I'd just go out with some gloves and rip the vine off the wood and dispose of it and take the wood, no use letting it go to waste.

Well hey this is an interesting thread so I thought I'd add my experience with the stuff: I haven't gotten poison ivy since I was a kid, I had an occasion where I played in the stuff and got it ALL OVER my entire body, that essentially has made me immune to it for the rest of my life (PA fuzzy vine poison) well last year I was clearing and bucking some storm downed trees and a bunch of them were covered in the stuff.. so no big deal I just bucked em and put em in the pile for the outdoor furnace.. well coming back a few days later, one of the bigger vines I had cut had oozed a black tar-like sap out the end of it and I happened to get that on my leg, I was in the woods where I couldn't clean it off so I left it there until I was done for the day.. well upon getting home and washing it off (not easy to do) I found it had BURNED A HOLE right through my skin! It took weeks to heal and now I've got a decent scar from it on the calf of my left leg!
So yeah, be careful around the stuff especially the sap! But you really don't have to treat it as if though it's cyanide, I had my wife with me that day and while she's not super sensitive to poison she does get it like a normal person and working all day with me didn't happen to get it in any real way.. I'd just go out with some gloves and rip the vine off the wood and dispose of it and take the wood, no use letting it go to waste.
I find that the saw chips flying at me from cutting is what you really have to watch out for.

I get it, but not bad. Usually just pull the vines off and move on with bucking and splitting. Sucks if your one of those that get a bad reaction to it. My older brother can't even look at it without a trip to the er. I just don't have the time to be picky about what I'm getting and often rejecting wood for whatever reason leads to the person not calling you again. So I take it. Poison and all. Doesn't bother me, nor have I or anyone around me ever had any issues when it's burned. Including the wife and kids. But non of them get much of a reaction to it either.

I find that the saw chips flying at me from cutting is what you really have to watch out for.
Yeah I probably have had my shoes full of the chips from it before (sawing in shorts) but only that time I got the congealed black sap on my leg and ignored it all day did it effect me in that rather surprising way I described, it didn't itch, it just felt like acid burning me a little (not really painful just annoying) but I still just ignored it until I was getting a shower that night and had to try to get it off, after which it continued to burn even worse for a few days and took forever to heal, but that vine was easily the size of a soda can not the smaller ones.

Thanks for the replies. I was cuting the grass today and looked across at the tree about 50 feet away or so and could easily see the poison vine goes up from the base of the tree about 6 feet, and is a few feet on the section that cracked and is sitting there still attached like a hinge, no thanks...I feel it is better for me to avoid it, there is plenty of wood around here, that's not a problem, and I am scared of getting it in the eyes; ever since I took a job almost 3 years ago working with visually impaired and blind people I have been extra cautious about the eyes and my sight, I have seen and heard many horror stories from the clients and figure it is better to not put myself in a situation where I could possibly have an issue, it's just not worth it. I might be able to cut the sections I talked about that don't appear to have it on but I'm not going to take that chance, the landlord will come back and take care of it or else he'll just leave it like that, it's not in anyone's way where it's at but I'm sure he'll clean it up, or someone else might ask to take it, it's all yours I'm not going to risk it!

Thank you

Thanks for the replies. I was cuting the grass today and looked across at the tree about 50 feet away or so and could easily see the poison vine goes up from the base of the tree about 6 feet, and is a few feet on the section that cracked and is sitting there still attached like a hinge, no thanks...I feel it is better for me to avoid it, there is plenty of wood around here, that's not a problem, and I am scared of getting it in the eyes; ever since I took a job almost 3 years ago working with visually impaired and blind people I have been extra cautious about the eyes and my sight, I have seen and heard many horror stories from the clients and figure it is better to not put myself in a situation where I could possibly have an issue, it's just not worth it. I might be able to cut the sections I talked about that don't appear to have it on but I'm not going to take that chance, the landlord will come back and take care of it or else he'll just leave it like that, it's not in anyone's way where it's at but I'm sure he'll clean it up, or someone else might ask to take it, it's all yours I'm not going to risk it!

Thank you
I got it in my eyes when I was young I kept rubbing them all day at work cutting trees with Ivy on them, I thought it was sweat in my eyes and kept wiping all day long. My eyes swelled up and looked like hell for a week. I learned my lesson from that look before you dive in and then keep away!

Leaves of three, leave it be.

I'm in the woods all time and
I'm not allergic to the Poison Ivy and Oaks but I respect it.
I do not saw on it, breathe the dust nor would be around burning wood when knowing that MIGHT HAVE/had Ivy on it.
As a kid I climbed trees that had the vines on the trees.

Best to not push your luck.
Get it into your lungs and you will start wondering why you did such for few sticks of wood.
Then when you start deep thinking about such YOU WILL SMELL WOOD BURNING. It's your block head.
Also the Sumacs bushes that make the white blooms is in same family as the Poison Ivy
s. The Red berry Sumacs are not so much. What is strange is Deer and goats eat the Poison Ivy's.

I've seen people that are very allergic to the Ivy's that could just look at it and break out around the eyes.
I've seen some very bad cases from Deer hunters that did not know about such and had sit down in it or just walked through Poison Oak patch and I've heard of (not seen) deer hunters that wiped with it when taking a dump in the woods.

If you get it on your body best to not bathe in bath tub due to the oil floating on top of water and spreading to rest of body.

Leave it be and don't take any for firewood.

If I'm out in the woods where that stuff might be I carry a small bar of soap or tiny bottle of dish detergent (works best). Wash any affected areas ASAP with cold water. Don't use warm/hot it opens your pores.

I was on a school sponsored canoe trip one spring weekend, we were all in shorts and t-shirts. One of the places we stopped was loaded with poison ivy. I pointed it out to the rest but they sort of laughed . Downstream I saw a man in his backyard and our canoe stopped and I asked for a bar of soap, after explaining why I needed it. I got the soap and nearly took a bath in the river, got laughed at more.

The next Monday I was rash free, but 1/2 the class was miserable and covered in rashes and calamine lotion. I laughed a lot that Monday.

Never burn wood with poison vines on it, the oil can be inhaled as it burns and inhaled causing a whole new allergic issue as the allergen compounds in the urushiol oil get carried into the air and inhaled into your throat, mouth, lungs, etc.
It can also settle on unsuspecting bystanders as well.

Back about 30 years ago this area had a huge winter ice and wind storm, the aftermath left huge old growth trees down all over the area. The place I was working for had four huge trees come down across a row of vehicles parked by a fence. The vehicles weren't damaged much as the smaller branches supported much of the leaning trees but the trees had to come down. The far side of the fence was a land locked field that butted up to an abandoned rail yard. This was in mid December and there were no leaves on anything. The four trees were huge hickory and walnut, each one roughly 40" at the base. Three of the four were covered in huge fuzzy looking vines, which were likely what choked out the trees and left them compromised enough to topple in the wind and ice storm. The ice was all but off the downed trees by the time we got back there to clean up the mess.
We weren't thinking much about poison anything, it was cold, damp, and windy and we just wanted it done and over with.
We started by moving the trucks that we could right away, then started to take apart the trees from the top down. Once enough weight was off the tops of the trees they sort of up righted themselves back up on the other side of the fence, but not enough to clear the fence for repair. Four of us spent the next 15 hours cutting up all four trees. Never once did we think about any of the vines or any poison. Two days later one guy called out sick saying he's covered with some sort of rash on his arms, face, and legs. The next day the other two were complaining that they had gotten a rash on their arms, hands, face and anywhere they had touched with their hands that day. I didn't get any reaction for almost four days when I got a bad rash on my arms and between my fingers. It looked like burn blisters up and down the inside of both arms, a little spot on my neck, and between my fingers. It lasted for a week and after nothing seemed to help it, I took the advice of an old timer I knew that said to scrub it with rubbing alcohol till all the runny blisters were gone and let it dry. I did that and it was nearly completely gone in two days.

I was wearing a Carhartt insulated coveralls that day, I was covered with a full face ski mask, scarf, and gloves.
I think I was fine the first day because I didn't get anything inside my coveralls, but I wore them again a few days later and had bundled them up in a roll in the back of my truck when I was done that day. I think that's when I got it.

Some of the guys just tossed their clothes, one guy was wearing his work uniform and a company jacket, he said he got it all over again even after washing everything twice so he tossed it all.

I can't say for sure what the poison was but it was most likely a combination. The following summer that area was full of Poison sumac and poison oak was growing all along the fence line on both sides. The vines were likely poison ivy as it was growing up and down all the nearby power line poles as well.

These days, poison ivy doesn't bother me much, but I'm careful to look for it and wash it off if I do touch any of it.
Poison sumac is more common here, but although it tears up most folks it does very little if anything at all to me.
In recent years we've had a sudden resurgence of poison oak here, the stuff pops up every where. Last summer I removed two barrels of it from around my house and yard. It seems to grow in amongst the Virginia creeper vines that pop up in the bushes every year.

I was told by someone who researches native and non-native plants here and they told me that there's some who believe that not only are most poison plants more dangerous at certain times of the year, but how they affect us can also be affected by our personal health at that given time, along with what we eat. The way it was explained to me is that if you eat something that you may be borderline sensitive too, or if your immune system is busy dealing with another issue, your more likely to get a contact reaction to a poison plant. I'm no expert but it does seem to make a lot of sense.
I do know that getting a poison ivy rash on top of bad sunburn is particularly nasty, (I had an ex who burned easily, spent a day on the boat with me, then hopped off the boat on a small island to take a bathroom break, and basically sat in poison sumac, and somehow it was all my fault).

These days I don't much worry about the stuff but also don't rolling in it either. Don't touch it, if you do, wash your hands, clean your clothes of toss them if its bad enough, and if cutting wood, a face mask and full body protection is likely in order.
The sap and wet chips that come off those huge vines is bad, and likely far worse than what's on the leaves during the summer.
A buddy who works for the local municipality clearing power lines and fire breaks said they use something called Zanfel to wash clothes after working around poison vines.
A few guys use dish soap to wash their clothes, hands, and equipment with as well.

The main thing to remember is that urushiol oil is not a living thing, its an oil, you can kill the plant but not the oil.
It simply has to be removed or washed away in a timely manner to prevent a reaction.
If it remains on the skin or clothes you will likely get some degree of a reaction either now or later.
Even dead, dry vines contain the oil and can be almost just as bad as live vines.
Alcohol, many dish soaps, as well as Zanfel will remove the oil.
Use hot water to wash clothes and equipment, cold water to wash yourself with and wash anything you touched after contact with the plant or vines.

Latest posts

Back