Cylinder plating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Taylor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just got my new 440 bb kit and the cylinder dosent seem to be plated, is it supposed to look like this?? My old cylinder looks like this completely different but both from Farmertec

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
its probably just from the honing process.. try to see if the surface scratches easily..but dont scar it up , im sure you know that..
if you use something like an awl..with a pointy tip, it needs to be kinda pointy but not razor sharp pointy .....im thinking an xacto blade tip would be too sharp..
you could find a spot at the very bottom of the cylinder.. and use the tip of the awl to kinda lightly rub/scratch/probe at the cylinder surface
but not too hard im sure you know whatll happen then LOL..
if its chromed or nikasil...the tip of the tool will slide really easily..if not it will feel kinda grabby...as the tip slides across the surface.
if you tap at the surface, the sound of aluminum would be very different than the sound of the lining. '
just finesse it brother...no real pressure should be required for the above
PLEASE DONT RUIN YOUR CYLINDER BOSS

after running in, the cylinder will start to look really shiny.. like the pic on the right..
i suspect the pic on the left is plated, its just the honing process and the crosshatch pattern
that is making it look like its not lined

I don't see any plating. Normally there is a noticeable difference in the coloring like on this one.
DSCF4881.jpg

Same thing happened to me, I received an unplated cylinder from them, unfortunately I didn't realize it until after the saw ran for a couple of hours and lost all compression. Good luck with warranty, I just had a run in with them trying to get them to replace a cylinder that had voids in the chrome plating, the one pictured here.

I don't see any plating. Normally there is a noticeable difference in the coloring like on this one.
View attachment 804054

Same thing happened to me, I received an unplated cylinder from them, unfortunately I didn't realize it until after the saw ran for a couple of hours and lost all compression. Good luck with warranty, I just had a run in with them trying to get them to replace a cylinder that had voids in the chrome plating, the one pictured here.
Thanks I’ll will try to get a plated cylinder from them

its probably just from the honing process.. try to see if the surface scratches easily..but dont scar it up , im sure you know that..
if you use something like an awl..with a pointy tip, it needs to be kinda pointy but not razor sharp pointy .....im thinking an xacto blade tip would be too sharp..
you could find a spot at the very bottom of the cylinder.. and use the tip of the awl to kinda lightly rub/scratch/probe at the cylinder surface
but not too hard im sure you know whatll happen then LOL..
if its chromed or nikasil...the tip of the tool will slide really easily..if not it will feel kinda grabby...as the tip slides across the surface.
if you tap at the surface, the sound of aluminum would be very different than the sound of the lining. '
just finesse it brother...no real pressure should be required for the above
PLEASE DONT RUIN YOUR CYLINDER BOSS

after running in, the cylinder will start to look really shiny.. like the pic on the right..
i suspect the pic on the left is plated, its just the honing process and the crosshatch pattern
that is making it look like its not lined
Interesting thanks

I guess I just found it hard to believe that somebody overthere was enough of a retard to not send out an uncoated cylinder.. But I forget sometimes that the world is completely stupid now

It's just not the plating, finish work on those port edges is ridiculous.

The one on the left is nikasil lined. The one on the right is chrome lined.
Even though they are both from the same manufacture, it’s another reason that they aren’t often recommended in some circles. They buy from whoever gets the contract, which is often determined by the price. When you hear someone say that there is no batch to batch consistency, this is what they are talking about. One guy gets a good one and raves about it, so others follow. Many of those others end up with junk

Back