Dave Neiger and the Infamous Oleo Mac 999

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
There are few here that haven't seen or run the 999.
Anyway, at woodjunkies GTG last weekend Dave took it apart and as everyone knows it was Dan Henry who initialy did the work to it. Regardless, it wasn't ruined as Ed Heard had so many of us believe. In fact, Dan had done very little work to the saw which left alot of power to be had, so after Dave hogged out some material and we got it back together it ran extremely well.
John

999DN.jpg

So anyway, here's a closeup of the foredom grinder and the alumihog removing some material off the top of the exhaust port.
John

999barrel.jpg

John, What a trip down memory lane. Glad to see you took the saddle of her.
BTW Wasnt it the piston that Dan screwed up? I thought there were some pics of it somewhere?
BTW post some video of it in action.

Ben, I'm glad you recalled the so called damaged piston because I took pictures of it and reinstalled it. The intake and exhaust side were only minimaly scored as you will see in the pictures, but first of all here is the saw cutting 11" Basswood with a reasonably good chain. The 999 didn't need a piston any more than my 088 does.:dizzy: I almost bought a new jug too based upon EHP's recommendation, but glad I didn't or I would have been out 400 dollars instead of the 100$ the piston cost.
Anyway, I'd like to thank Dave for doing the porting for me and bringing the saw alive.
John

John,is that the same saw I ran at Erics? It sure looks like the saw.
I can say one thing it sure runs alot better if it is!!!!!!

Rick

Here's the original piston that EHP took out and replaced with a new one. You can see some of Dans work on the windows of the piston to lighten it up.
Regardless, the 999 didn't need a new piston anymore than Tommy Fales needs me to file his chain, nor did Dan over port it as Ed had said.
Anyway, here's the piston that is in the 999 now as per the previous video.
John
999pistonscoreintake.jpg

999pistonscoreexhaust.jpg

Last edited:
Dave is a great guy. I have a 962 olympik that he did and it is crazy fast!! He does great work. Fun guy to talk to also. I hope to meet this summer in person. That 999 looks to get with the program pretty well. Nice saw.
jason

Just Say No to Sandbagging

Hi Jason, I couldn't agree more. I met Dave a few years back when I held a GTG at my place, but that was in the days when I was more of a girl scout than I am now and was easily sandbagged and I'll bet that Dave didn't have the heart to tell me so.:givebeer:
Anyway, here's the carb off the 999, it's a huge Walbro.:clap:
John

Walbro.jpg

1st off I am by no means an expert on anything but i did see that cly and piston up close and personal their wasn't enough work done to that saw to say anything was done. if that saw saw taken to far originally like EHP proclaimed well the M80 saw i had must have been totally junk.

I seen no reason why that piston was unusable it looks to me like perhaps the ports wear not chambered correctly original but nothing rings would not have fixed.
John too bad you had to get screwed twice. The bright side is now you have something that might just show the 066's how it's done.... Koudos to Dave

woodsjunkie said:
1st off I am by no means an expert on anything but i did see that cly and piston up close and personal their wasn't enough work done to that saw to say anything was done. if that saw saw taken to far originally like EHP proclaimed well the M80 saw i had must have been totally junk.

I seen no reason why that piston was unusable it looks to me like perhaps the ports wear not chambered correctly original but nothing rings would not have fixed.
John too bad you had to get screwed twice. The bright side is now you have something that might just show the 066's how it's done.... Koudos to Dave
I just wished Ed had given me the straight goods on the saw from the beginning or at least reported it like Dave did, but I guess Ed didn't know how. I don't fault Dan for this one as I feel the 999 was beyond his experience.

I have raced saws from the mid 70s.At that time Dave was about the only builder around here.Dave set me up with a 162 husky that belonged to him but I got to race it.I won alot of shows with that saw(in it's class).Anyway Dave has been around and knows what he is doing.He also host one of the biggest shows in Michigan 4th of July weekend.The show is open to everyone
you don't even have to pre register.

Rick

Latest posts

Back