Directioinal falling ?s for the pro's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now, as I've just said that, I remember I've bloody chased better wages abroad myself! Oops. Well, I'm not going to edit that anyway...

I've seen a lot of stumps like that before. I used to herd a flock of the fallers from abroad. And a power company contract it was too! The most vivid (and frighting) period of my life this far.

Our neighboring country happens to be too quite a bit, let's say, unfortunate, economically. The problem is, workers coming from there are not hired because they are good, but because they are cheap. And you'll never get the best workers that way. You'll get mostly leftovers, those who didn't make it back home. The best do have jobs at home and they have no intention to go anywhere. I'm sorry to tell you that's a fact.

Dude have you relocated to California?

He must have. If you try to wade across a river in the dark in his part of the world you'd freeze your cojones off. :msp_wink:

Right. This is no California or Texas either. No illegal trespassing here across the borders. If you are entering from the poor side, you should hike across 50-80 miles of wilderness: forests, swamps, lakes, rivers, mosquitos... The very few to make it through are so exhausted when they finally reach some populated area, they are more than willing to give themselves up.

Anyway, what I tried to say was: I give my sympathy for those people who leave their homes for money. I have done that too after all. Legally, of course, no need to play hide and seek with the border patrols inside the European Union. What would you do yourself? No money, no job, no education/skills, no hope. Would you just wait home and die? But those greedy pigs who take advantage of cheap workers, I don't tolerate at all.

Although I'm a greedy pig myself, to be honest.

Gaw Dayum. I think we all just hit the nail on the head: "I get why they'd do it, I just wish they wouldn't do it so blatantly".

I mean, really: the US is a country of immigrants. Even the "natives" came here from somewhere else, only earlier. The current "immigration" problem, unlike those of the past, is that the offending persons are sneaking across a porous border, not an otherwise-intractable ocean. This makes enforcement of Immigration Law nearly impossible. It's not like we don't "like" Mexico -- hell, Cinco De Mayo is as good an excuse to party as any other -- it's just that it isn't fair for Joe Taxpayer to be footing the bill for education and healthcare for transient laborers who won't be here next spring. There's more to it, of course, and I'd as soon not get into it here, but that's the gist of it.

I work every spring with mostly-Mexican planting crews and they work their asses off. They are the same guys every year, and I know 'em by name, and we joke and shake hands when the job is done. I'm always happy to see them because I know the job will be done right and quickly. In my hometown, a handful of Mexican immigrant families have put down roots and bought businesses and joined the Chamber of Commerce -- how can I not respect the Horatio Alger ideal of "Work Hard, Make Something Of Yourself" that these people embody?

As always, it's a Rotten Few that make things bad for Everybody Else.

Gaw Dayum. I think we all just hit the nail on the head: "I get why they'd do it, I just wish they wouldn't do it so blatantly".

I mean, really: the US is a country of immigrants. Even the "natives" came here from somewhere else, only earlier. The current "immigration" problem, unlike those of the past, is that the offending persons are sneaking across a porous border, not an otherwise-intractable ocean. This makes enforcement of Immigration Law nearly impossible. It's not like we don't "like" Mexico -- hell, Cinco De Mayo is as good an excuse to party as any other -- it's just that it isn't fair for Joe Taxpayer to be footing the bill for education and healthcare for transient laborers who won't be here next spring. There's more to it, of course, and I'd as soon not get into it here, but that's the gist of it.

I work every spring with mostly-Mexican planting crews and they work their asses off. They are the same guys every year, and I know 'em by name, and we joke and shake hands when the job is done. I'm always happy to see them because I know the job will be done right and quickly. In my hometown, a handful of Mexican immigrant families have put down roots and bought businesses and joined the Chamber of Commerce -- how can I not respect the Horatio Alger ideal of "Work Hard, Make Something Of Yourself" that these people embody?

As always, it's a Rotten Few that make things bad for Everybody Else.[/QUO :agree2:

As always, it's a Rotten Few that make things bad for Everybody Else.[/QUO :agree2:
According to statistics I've seen on social care and crime it is way,way,way more than a rotten few!

I work every spring with mostly-Mexican planting crews and they work their asses off. They are the same guys every year, and I know 'em by name, and we joke and shake hands when the job is done. I'm always happy to see them because I know the job will be done right and quickly.

Planting is here mostly done by foreigners too. Russians, Ukrainians, Polish, Romanians. I have even heard about a planting crew from Thailand. Well, I have contracted to do planting myself as usual. Call me Mexican, if you like. I'll shoot 25-30 000 seedlings into the earth this spring. Three weeks job. Most people think the pay you get out of planting sucks. A pro is a pro in planting as well. I make just as much money doing that job as I was doing logging or tree service. But no money spent on gas or lubricants or chains! The dullest job I have ever done it is, but it's a lot lighter work than logging. And I have downloaded a few good novels in my MP3-player. A kind of meditation. Plus, that's the only occasion I really get to see some bears. They're hungry in the springtime and they get used to a single planter wondering around an open field. They just keep digging roots and old stumps while I'm doing my job. We mind our own business, bears and me.

Planting is here mostly done by foreigners too. Russians, Ukrainians, Polish, Romanians. I have even heard about a planting crew from Thailand. Well, I have contracted to do planting myself as usual. Call me Mexican, if you like. I'll shoot 25-30 000 seedlings into the earth this spring. Three weeks job. Most people think the pay you get out of planting sucks. A pro is a pro in planting as well. I make just as much money doing that job as I was doing logging or tree service. But no money spent on gas or lubricants or chains! The dullest job I have ever done it is, but it's a lot lighter work than logging. And I have downloaded a few good novels in my MP3-player. A kind of meditation. Plus, that's the only occasion I really get to see some bears. They're hungry in the springtime and they get used to a single planter wondering around an open field. They just keep digging roots and old stumps while I'm doing my job. We mind our own business, bears and me.

Yup...we don't always get to do our favorite job. The guys that can do a variety of things, and do them well, can make a good living in this business. I don't plant trees but I do about everything else.

Watch out for those bears. They might decide to make a snack out of the tree planter.

Falling and work

The best kinda faller is one who can always be open to a new idea. The faller will use bits and pieces of info he sees and watches.

:smile2:

Me I watch alot of utube vids. Got 20 years with no major accidents and am still learning every time I fall a tree. Had one banana tree with 48" DBH 220 foot of high Ponderosa pine leaning towards my dads house,high cabled it to counter balance the beast, still managed to tickle the power line. That was caused by the rotten top breaking free 80 foot up. Yes I did run like the wind. Learned not to trust dead trees :hmm3grin2orange: I am a trained hazard faller and I still hate rotten trees.

Watch out for those bears. They might decide to make a snack out of the tree planter.

Last spring I spent 10 days planting a single field. A mother bear with her second year puppy kept me company. I kept looking over my shoulder then, because I didn't want to walk in between those two. The planting field was just 7 miles from the very center of our town... Bears live here among the people. You just never get to see them in the woods. They don't see us as the walking snacks. They are scared to death for us, but they don't like surprises. All you have to do is to make sure they know where you are.

Last spring I spent 10 days planting a single field. A mother bear with her second year puppy kept me company. I kept looking over my shoulder then, because I didn't want to walk in between those two. The planting field was just 7 miles from the very center of our town... Bears live here among the people. You just never get to see them in the woods. They don't see us as the walking snacks. They are scared to death for us, but they don't like surprises. All you have to do is to make sure they know where you are.

Truth is the black bear boar is the one that sometimes decides to try to eat you. I read an article from a guy who trapped nuisance bears. He was mauled a couple times. He said we routinely tree cubs and tag their ears. The sow will make repeated bluff charges but not attack in his experience. He said if a big boar ever makes eye contact with you and approaches you anyway that, your in for the fight of your life. I have come across many here and two in the 6 to 7 hundred pound range. I have only been charged once and fortunately it was a bluff!

Truth is the black bear boar is the one that sometimes decides to try to eat you. I read an article from a guy who trapped nuisance bears. He was mauled a couple times. He said we routinely tree cubs and tag their ears. The sow will make repeated bluff charges but not attack in his experience. He said if a big boar ever makes eye contact with you and approaches you anyway that, your in for the fight of your life. I have come across many here and two in the 6 to 7 hundred pound range. I have only been charged once and fortunately it was a bluff!

What?, you didn't charge it!!!!
I guess you are a weiner, I pictured you with a bowie between your teeth and a bass net in your hands.

What?, you didn't charge it!!!!
I guess you are a weiner, I pictured you with a bowie between your teeth and a bass net in your hands.

I knocked an arrow and hollered at it and it finally decided against trying me further. If it came ten more yards it was gonna feel pain under its throat:)

Thanks for the Great Distributor, we only have brown bears here. They are more predictible. Wrestling with bears doesn't include my contract....

I have had the fortune, good or bad, to encounter a whole lot of bears. However, I don't believe I've ever seen a bear's face -- I've only seen the ass end of them running away. 'Round here, they're pretty reclusive critters.

Latest posts

Back