dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was there any issue with the muffler because the original 543 cylinder had the offset exhaust port?

Allmos perfect fit. The muffler is a little closer to the left side of the saw. Maybe the cylinder is rotated to the left? Offcourse the exhaust port is ported . From oval to square. I modified the mufller to fit.

The displacement on the bigger saws is a lie. The 52cc is close but the 58cc is only 55cc by advertised bore and stroke but all the replacement cranks list that they fit 45, 52, and 58cc, and there's no specific 58cc crank that I can find, so really the 58cc saw is just a 52cc saw with quad transfers. I only started investigating this because I bought a 62cc saw that came with an external clutch and then I measured the bore and stroke and it seems I was just sold a 52cc saw with a 62cc recoil assembly.

I'll have to measure the bores on some of mine. I have more than a few to compare plus a 52cc cylinder. The the craftsman 42cc clone definitely has a smaller bore and a very thick cylinder wall.

I think the stroke is the real sneaky thing. Theres supposedly 3 bores, 42mm, 45mm, and 45.2mm. The 42 and 45 have dual open transfers and the 45.2 has quad open. And supposedly there are two strokes, 32mm and 34mm. I cant find anyone actually selling the 34mm stroke crank, and the 32mm cranks are listed as fitting the 3 sizes of saws. I dont think the 34mm stroke crank exists. My saw is a 45mm bore dual open transfers, 32mm stroke.

Well I finally got out the caliper and checked the bore sizes and stroke.

45.93mm bore 1.34 inch stroke(56cc saw).

44.91(52cc spare cylinder)

44.94mm bore 1.31 inch stroke(52cc saw).

Can't get my photos to load.

I have a 38cc unit and it seems to run fine. Got it from my bil after he passed. However when I turn it on its side to add fuel, fuel runs out somewhere near the carb while I'm filling. I'm wondering if the tank breather is missing. Any ipls around?

Can you post a picture of the saw?

From the knowledge of the ones I have it's time to replace the fuel lines since they go through two holes in the top of the tank and will eventually shrink causing a leak.

That is the oil tank breather, the fuel tank breather is on top of the tank under the carburetor. You have to take the handle and tank assembly off to replace it.

I agree with BrushSlayer, it's probably the fuel lines. Had the same thing happen to both of mine and my dad's. Fuel lines aren't fun to get to but easier than that tank vent

I found this closed transfer cylinder kit on AliExpress. I bought two, I believe a 365 or 372 intake boot will fit so you can run the bigger 365/372 carburetor. I'll have to try the one on my 365 copy on my g5000.

US $36.89 10%OFF | Free shipping of 1 set of G5800 cylinder assembly for ZENOAH G5800 chainsaw aftermarket repair&replacement high cost effect https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/KJcsvP6C

That link doesnt work, but when you copy the url from the link its just to a normal open quad port 58cc jug. You need a 58cc crank or else it'll have a bunch of squish clearance. It'll still run better than a 52cc dual port on a 52cc bottom end though because the quad ports are that much better.

They added another photo that shows that shows a quad transfer cylinder and still two pictures of the closed transfer one so I cancelled that order.

Well that took 3 days to read.

I'm glad we don't have them here and now or i would have to buy one (or several). They sound like fun.

Are there any/many of these still out there cutting wood?

Well that took 3 days to read.

I'm glad we don't have them here and now or i would have to buy one (or several). They sound like fun.

Where's here? Any saw that's not stihl, husqvarna, echo, or makita is probably one of these. Like timberpro, x-bull, baumer, Honda, hodna, etc.

A trip to Lowe's and now I have this thing
IMG_20200509_210034051.jpg

It's a g3800 style saw, not strato charged but the cylinder is a quad closed transfer with removable covers like on the 543xp, gz4500, and 4000 but the intake is just a single port with an impulse hole.

IMG_20200509_200108815.jpgIMG_20200509_200203878.jpgIMG_20200509_200630173.jpg

Latest posts

Back