Do you mill Red Elm? I picked up a few logs today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A guy on facebook was giving away these red elm logs. He cut down a red elm and an ash tree. The ash tree was pretty much rotted to nothing. I took the red elm though. I'm going to mill it into boards in a few weeks when things slow down at work.

Do any of you mill red elm ? what do you use the boards for? I've been told they make great trailer decking, ramps, wood flooring etc...

I want to make a bookshelf out of some of it, cutting boards, ramps for my utility trailer, and I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest. There's still two more logs half the size of these I need to go back and get.

trying to get the picture to load. I think I did it right. I added it to the gallery first

Attachments

• redelmlogs.jpg
    redelmlogs.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 35
I used boards from an Elm my father had milled for the interior walls of my workshop. I'm not sure if it was American Elm or not.
I would question it's use as an exterior wood since it does tend to rot rather quickly outside but 4/4 would be strong enough. Maybe ok if thoroughly dry and sealed.

Not yet, but I brought home some elm and cherry logs a couple weeks ago that are now waiting in the pile for my broken bones to mend...

IMG_6887.JPG

That's an impressive chunk of elm!

I believe elm has less traditional use in building because it's hard to split and rots fairly easily. Traditional wood for chair seats, because it doesn't split easily. Carves nicely, and seems to be sought after for that purpose.

That's an impressive chunk of elm!

I believe elm has less traditional use in building because it's hard to split and rots fairly easily. Traditional wood for chair seats, because it doesn't split easily. Carves nicely, and seems to be sought after for that purpose.

These are definitely the biggest logs I've dealt with.

Thanks for the info!

It is pretty - under-utilized, in my opinion, for furniture, etc...

Yes, trailer decking is also a good use for it. It has a good strength:weight ratio. There is stronger wood, but it will weigh more.

I'm leaning towards live slabs as the poster below your post suggested.

Maybe a work bench top as well since I want to build a work bench in the basement

Live edge counters, table tops.
American elm has amazing grain and looks beautiful when finished.

That's what I'm leaning towards at this point

Thanks for the suggestion

I've been looking at images online. I hope these look just as good inside as the pictures I've come across

I ordered a mill for my chainsaw. I will milll these as soon as it arrives since the local mill can't mill them due to the size.

I will definitely keep you guys up to date with pictures

2 1/4-2 1/2" is what I will cut them to

I used boards from an Elm my father had milled for the interior walls of my workshop. I'm not sure if it was American Elm or not.
I would question it's use as an exterior wood since it does tend to rot rather quickly outside but 4/4 would be strong enough. Maybe ok if thoroughly dry and sealed.

I will use the wood for inside due to the potential of rot being outside

Not yet, but I brought home some elm and cherry logs a couple weeks ago that are now waiting in the pile for my broken bones to mend...

View attachment 664718

That's a good looking pile!

Back