Picked up an MS361 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 psi doesn't sound very good to me. Guessing you're going to need a new piston.

Good luck with it.
Yeah, got my long torx set today so I could get the muffler off to have a look inside and while the cylinder looks pretty good, the piston has some damage and the rings look pretty much fused on to it. New piston looks to be the call. That should be easy enough.

Yeah, got my long torx set today so I could get the muffler off to have a look inside and while the cylinder looks pretty good, the piston has some damage and the rings look pretty much fused on to it. New piston looks to be the call. That should be easy enough.

Prolly want to use some muriatic acid to get the aluminum transfer off the walls of the jug.

What that means is that a. Palmer jr. has not used his 361 very much in the lase few years. Neither had I until two weeks ago. Mine runs circles around both my Husky 257 and my Husky 61. I bought those two saws and used them to extend the life of the Stihl MS361. Now the time has come to run that 361 until I drop dead before it does. There are some who say that my 361 will outlive me. Just MHO.
My problem is that we've recently moved and although there are a few trees here I don't burn wood in the house or garage, both have gas heat only, not even a fireplace. Occasionally a limb might fall from a tree and need sawed up I don't use a 361 for that. I did have a tree fall down last week but I only needed my trusty 353 to finish it off. That old Husky ran as good as I remember it doing a few years back. I have more saws than I did before because people keep giving them to me. The saw I use the most now is my Echo 330T. It's the smallest saw I have.

My problem is that we've recently moved and although there are a few trees here I don't burn wood in the house or garage, both have gas heat only, not even a fireplace. Occasionally a limb might fall from a tree and need sawed up I don't use a 361 for that. I did have a tree fall down last week but I only needed my trusty 353 to finish it off. That old Husky ran as good as I remember it doing a few years back. I have more saws than I did before because people keep giving them to me. The saw I use the most now is my Echo 330T. It's the smallest saw I have.
The 361 will end up being my lightest saw. My 455 Ranchers that I'm going to sell weigh a bit more. My only excuse for having saws is for milling/urban tree salvage. I live in a rental house in the city w no fireplace so the cross cutting I do is minimal. Mostly just sectioning and trimming trees that I'm going to mill. I just store slabs in my back yard and don't keep any logs around, so I actually run into the problem of not having anything to test my saws out on when I want to check how a chain is cutting or tune a saw cutting wood.

Prolly want to use some muriatic acid to get the aluminum transfer off the walls of the jug.
Thanks for the tip on this - have just replaced jugs before with new ones, never cleaned one up properly and didn't realize a lot of the time what seems like hopeless damage is just aluminum transfer. This had a bunch right around the top where it came off the top side of the piston. Cleaned right up with muriatic acid nicely. Got it all back together and damn it's got some compression. Kinda like having that decomp valve after all lol. Never had a saw in this size this strong before. Fired up and runs great. Happy that I didn't have to put that much into it, about $75 in parts.

Thanks for the tip on this - have just replaced jugs before with new ones, never cleaned one up properly and didn't realize a lot of the time what seems like hopeless damage is just aluminum transfer. This had a bunch right around the top where it came off the top side of the piston. Cleaned right up with muriatic acid nicely. Got it all back together and damn it's got some compression. Kinda like having that decomp valve after all lol. Never had a saw in this size this strong before. Fired up and runs great. Happy that I didn't have to put that too much that much into it, about $75 in parts.

Happy to help!

Latest posts

Back