Homie 360 diaphragm by spark plug NLA, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Collectors

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have not looked at this saw good yet. It belongs to a relative and is at their house. I’ll pick it up soon. Here’s the story of this Homelite 360 chainsaw, hoping I can get some help. The guy took it in for some repairs years ago and then the shop he took it to closed, he received the saw with the carburetor and other small parts in a baggy and unfinished. The shop owner said there was a gasket or diagram that needed replacing, but wasn’t available. Details are fuzzy. Supposedly it’s a rubber diaphragm near the spark plug or in the boot or something… Any ideas? I bet I can find anything for the saw on eBay or the Homelite forum. I am getting my great grandpa’s Homelite XL-12 project saw in return for fixing this 360.

I have three 360 Parts saws I've been selling parts from. One is complete and will fire on prime, If you figure out what parts you need just let me know and I'll see if I have what you need.
I bought a bunch of differnt Homelite parts saws from a shop that is slowing down.
I will be getting all his Homelite NOS parts soon.

I have three 360 Parts saws I've been selling parts from. One is complete and will fire on prime, If you figure out what parts you need just let me know and I'll see if I have what you need.
I bought a bunch of differnt Homelite parts saws from a shop that is slowing down.
I will be getting all his Homelite NOS parts soon.
Alright, Cool. I’ll definitely send you a PM on the forum once I figure out what all I need.

Most likely it is the intake boot, they are known for failure on the older saws. Replacements are available, I used these 12048 from Garden Pal on a few saws, no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/GardenPal-Connector-Carburetor-Compatible-Replacement/dp/B09GFHVKN1

Be very careful when you take it apart, the manifold that the boot attaches to is a hard plastic and prone to chipping. Again replacements are available but by the time you get the boot (connector), manifold, and gasket you have some $$ invested as well as your time.

https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/HOM-70715
1712194756400.png

Mark

Update. I got the saw to run for 2 seconds. Throttle wasn’t hooked up and was in the closed/idle position, I opened it to let a little of the gas I poured down the carb get it. It ran at a somewhat high throttle for those 2 seconds. I’m unsure if the boot really needs replacing. I’m able to pull the boot up a little bit for some reason…

Update. I got the saw to run for 2 seconds. Throttle wasn’t hooked up and was in the closed/idle position, I opened it to let a little of the gas I poured down the carb get it. It ran at a somewhat high throttle for those 2 seconds. I’m unsure if the boot really needs replacing. I’m able to pull the boot up a little bit for some reason…
That saw could be 48 years old as the 360 came out in 1976. I would still pull the saw apart and check the intake boot and the fuel and pulse hoses/lines. They most likely have never been replaced since new. I just picked a 360 a few days ago and so far it runs just fine with just a new fuel filter and carb cleaning. If I don't sell it as is, I'll still pull it apart to replace the hoses and boot if needed.20240402_122117.jpg

I'd change that boot. Picture is blurry and dark but it doesn't look the greatest. Homelite made them from terrible material. I've seen Stihl 045 and 031 boots that were 30+ years old look new and even Mcculloch boots still holding up and being 40 years old. Homelite boots like to disintegrate.

I'm on board with the saw having a blown intake boot as well! As I have said several times now on this forum, you can almost guarantee that if it's a homelite 330 or 360 it's nine times out of ten the intake boot on these two models of saw.i own six 330 and three 360 homelites, and out of all of them only one of the 330 had a good boot if that tells a story about them? 😉

I installed the new boot today. Almost done with reassembly. However, the recoil is problematic. Most of the time it doesn’t go in all the way. 3-7 inches hangs out. WD40 made it a little better. What would cause that on this saw?

I installed the new boot today. Almost done with reassembly. However, the recoil is problematic. Most of the time it doesn’t go in all the way. 3-7 inches hangs out. WD40 made it a little better. What would cause that on this saw?
Might try re-tensioning the spring. Take the two spring cover screws out while holding the cover so it doesn't spin once the screws are removed, then turn it one rotation clockwise and see how it is. If it still needs more tension, do it one more turn. I did it with the 360 I picked up recently and is retracting as it should now.

Might try re-tensioning the spring. Take the two spring cover screws out while holding the cover so it doesn't spin once the screws are removed, then turn it one rotation clockwise and see how it is. If it still needs more tension, do it one more turn. I did it with the 360 I picked up recently and is retracting as it should now.
Did that 3 turns and the problem came back. I’ll take the recoil apart for cleaning and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

During the test run this morning I determined that the boot install was successful and that there is a fuel delivery issue. Since the old fuel line was still intact and I installed a new fuel filter and I already spray cleaned the carb, I’m thinking the carb needs to be rebuilt.

Back