McCulloch chainsaw 10-10 help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, Happy New year.

I am looking for advice here. I need to know if there is someone who still works on McCulloch power saws.

Long story short, this was my Fathers saw having bought it new back in the early 70-71 year. It has hardly been used and everytime I went to use it it fired right up. Other then putting fuel and chains on it no problems until this past fall. Needing to cut some rather smaller trees 12-14 in cherry it again fired right up. Finished them up but needed to limb one that I forgot, I fired it up again and got shocked and it ran at full throtke. I immediately shut her down because the shock was a little shocking (pun intended.)

I sat it on the ground and literally said what the heck was that. I figured thatsomething had gone wrong with the plug and looked at the boot and pulled the plug. Looked alright. The trigger seemed to wrok as usuusal and was not sticking so I figured it was just a fluke. Put the plug in and started it up and It did the same thing.

I did not take it apart to see what I might find because I am nit a mechanic and was afraid of taking something off and not being able to get it back together so I am wondering if there is someone that somebody here knows that I could contact to have them look at it.

I have nothing but Stihl power saws but wanted to keep it because not only has it been a great saw, in great shape and has been without problems plus it has sentimental value. I don't believe there is anything major wrong and don't want to hang it up next to some older saws.

I don't mind shipping it out of state if need be. I live in SW PA.

Thanks for any replies.

Jim

Anyone ? Surey there is somebody that knows where I can find a good mechanic to work on this

Anyone ? Surey there is somebody that knows where I can find a good mechanic to work on this
Take the filter cover off and look at the throttle linkage, ensure it is still connected to carb linkage. Might have come off the trigger and stuck full throttle. The throttle butterfly is usually spring loaded closed, so must be something sticking.

Thank you all, I haven't been able to look at this yet, Feeling a bit under the weather.

Hi all, Happy New year.

I am looking for advice here. I need to know if there is someone who still works on McCulloch power saws.

Long story short, this was my Fathers saw having bought it new back in the early 70-71 year. It has hardly been used and everytime I went to use it it fired right up. Other then putting fuel and chains on it no problems until this past fall. Needing to cut some rather smaller trees 12-14 in cherry it again fired right up. Finished them up but needed to limb one that I forgot, I fired it up again and got shocked and it ran at full throtke. I immediately shut her down because the shock was a little shocking (pun intended.)

I sat it on the ground and literally said what the heck was that. I figured thatsomething had gone wrong with the plug and looked at the boot and pulled the plug. Looked alright. The trigger seemed to wrok as usuusal and was not sticking so I figured it was just a fluke. Put the plug in and started it up and It did the same thing.

I did not take it apart to see what I might find because I am nit a mechanic and was afraid of taking something off and not being able to get it back together so I am wondering if there is someone that somebody here knows that I could contact to have them look at it.

I have nothing but Stihl power saws but wanted to keep it because not only has it been a great saw, in great shape and has been without problems plus it has sentimental value. I don't believe there is anything major wrong and don't want to hang it up next to some older saws.

I don't mind shipping it out of state if need be. I live in SW PA.

Thanks for any replies.

Jim
The spark plug wire that runs through a slot or hole in the cover may have worn through and is sending you a warning. Unscrew the spark plug wire from the coil and replace it. It may also come from the spark plug wire grounding out on the motor as it passes from the cover hole to the spark plug. Been there, done that.

Latest posts

Back