Pioneer farm saw 2 help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitelightnin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good morning folks. I recently picked up another Pioneer farmsaw 2 as a parts saw for my other one. The guy I bought it from said it had no spark. I figured easy coil or plug fix. Turns out it does fire up but only choked and dies after a couple seconds. Carb kit would be next I figured. I pulled the muffler and plug out and the piston has a lot of carbon buildup at the top and a lot of carbon scoring all around it. The ring is not froze up though. The compression does seem low compared to my other saw when pulling the cords. I am planning to give the p and c a good cleaning and put a new ring on the piston. Im new to pulling the jug and pistons out of saws so my questions are. Do I have to have the cylinder crosshatched or can I put it back together as is. Ive heard some say yes and some say no. Can anyone look at the pic and tell if the cylinder looks glazed? Shining a light inside it I don’t really see any amber coloration. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6639.jpeg
    IMG_6639.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6632.jpeg
    IMG_6632.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6634.jpeg
    IMG_6634.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I normally use some fine emory on the cylinder to help break in a new ring. Looks like you have the decomp port, I just picked up a farmsaw myself that has the auto decomp. You will need to disable it to get a proper reading if you have this feature and haven't done so already.

The maroon Scotchbrite pads do a fine job of cleaning and deglazing chainsaw cylinders, it does require some elbow grease though, wash the cylinders out very well with hot water and soap to remove all fine grit after deglazing.

Thanks guys. What would be a good way to clean the carbon off with without hurting p and c?
Since the EPA has taken away most of the best/good products for carbon removal many have resorted to using oven cleaner, not the wimpy citrus types but the high strength types. Where I live we can get a brand called Easy Off , sometimes also listed as barbecue or grille cleaner. There is also a product I will link below, not certain it is avaliable or allowed in all locations,
https://www.amazon.ca/Carbon-Off-Ge...6&psc=1&mcid=bf34ccadf0d43e4ca53c628ca47d5d5c

Thanks guys! What would be a good way to clean off the carbon
Since the EPA has taken away most of the best/good products for carbon removal many have resorted to using oven cleaner, not the wimpy citrus types but the high strength types. Where I live we can get a brand called Easy Off , sometimes also listed as barbecue or grille cleaner. There is also a product I will link below, not certain it is avaliable or allowed in all locations,
https://www.amazon.ca/Carbon-Off-Ge...6&psc=1&mcid=bf34ccadf0d43e4ca53c628ca47d5d5c
Have a can of Easy Off in the cabinet as we speak. Ill give it a shot!

The maroon Scotchbrite pads do a fine job of cleaning and deglazing chainsaw cylinders, it does require some elbow grease though, wash the cylinders out very well with hot water and soap to remove all fine grit after deglazing.
Forgive my ignorance but does the scotchbrite actually scratch the chrome in the cylinder? Im just curious if I need to try a crosshatch pattern with the scotchbrite or just horizontal around the cylinder.

Forgive my ignorance but does the scotchbrite actually scratch the chrome in the cylinder? Im just curious if I need to try a crosshatch pattern with the scotchbrite or just horizontal around the cylinder.
There is no need of cross hatching a chainsaw cylinder. The piston has lubrication carrying machine marks all around the sides Cleaning the cylinder walls by rotating the pads side to side is all that is needed.

Back