I’m think it’s a 051av, but not sure. Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwballistics

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, new guy here. Thanks for having me.

I found this saw in my grandfathers shop 10 years or so ago. He was a logger in south Alabama. I recently have been bitten by the rebuilding/modifying chainsaw bug, and now the milling bug, in quick succession. I had totally forgotten about grabbing this saw. I really got it just as a keepsake since he had just passed, and it was so massive with a 4 foot bar on it, it looked cartoonish compared to the farm boss I had at the time. I called my dad to see if he could locate it in the barn where I put it way back then, and he did and sent me these pictures. I’ve done a little research and decided it’s definitely not an 075 because of the manual oiler up front, but I am trying to confirm for certain with some further pictures of the decomp plug location next to the spark plug.

My question is if there are any tell tale signs of an 051 vs 051av? I know this is a longshot from what I’m working with picture-wise, but I’m impatient and figured I’d ask. Hell, it might be an 050 for all I know.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1322.png
    IMG_1322.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

I found this saw in my grandfathers shop 10 years or so ago. He was a logger in south Alabama. I recently have been bitten by the rebuilding/modifying chainsaw bug, and now the milling bug, in quick succession. I had totally forgotten about grabbing this saw. I really got it just as a keepsake since he had just passed, and it was so massive with a 4 foot bar on it, it looked cartoonish compared to the farm boss I had at the time. I called my dad to see if he could locate it in the barn where I put it way back then, and he did and sent me these pictures. I’ve done a little research and decided it’s definitely not an 075 because of the manual oiler up front, but I am trying to confirm for certain with some further pictures of the decomp plug location next to the spark plug.

My question is if there are any tell tale signs of an 051 vs 051av? I know this is a longshot from what I’m working with picture-wise, but I’m impatient and figured I’d ask. Hell, it might be an 050 for all I know.

Thanks for any input.
I

Thanks for any input.
Do the black rubber mounts at the back of the handle mean it is an AV? Did I mention I’m new to this? If so, could it be an 050 or any other model. 051AV electronic?
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Thanks for any input.
Look for pt#s. Will start with 1111 for 050/051
That muffler guard is throwing me :p
Doesn’t match any IPLs I have.

http://thebakeliteradio.com/sawspares.com/page9/page9.html

051 ave From the pics. Possible 75. Nuts holding the cylinder on are the final say on that. If you remove the starter, you will see either a allen screw head or a stud holding the cylinder on. Stud= 075 (or 76, but I doubt it).

051 ave From the pics. Possible 75. Nuts holding the cylinder on are the final say on that. If you remove the starter, you will see either an allen screw head or a stud holding the cylinder on. Stud= 075 (or 76, but I doubt it).
What makes you think it is electronic model? I can’t seem to find any info on distinguishing characteristics between AV and AVE models. I don’t have the saw in my possession at the moment. Just going off pics my dad sent me. Thanks for the reply!

Most later models were all electronic. Plus the larger name plate. Only one way to know foe sure- pull the flywheel.
Some also had a pickup under the flywheel.
You may also have removable plastic plugs in the flywheel. Take one out to see if there are points.

Back