Dolmar 420 vs Husqvarna 550xp ready to cut pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I decided to buy a Husqvarna 550xp to move up in power a little over my Dolmar 420. I like the power increase of the 550xp very much so far. I did not do any timed video cuts to post but I did take pictures side by side and also have weights of both saws ready to cut.

Both saws had full fuel and bar oil.

The Dolmar 420 has a 16" prolite bar with .325 chain.

420scale.JPG

The 550xp has a 18" Husqvarna laminate bar with standard .325 chain.

550scale.JPG

Now for a side by side. It is surprising how much wider the 420 is. The other main difference I notice is in the hand separation. The 550 puts hands placed farther apart. The hand placement on the 420 almost felt odd after running the 550.

550vs420.JPG

I like the power and handling of the 550 so much I have already sold the 420...

The big question is going to be durability. The 550 is not the same standard as the 420. One of the plastic clips that holds the top cover down was cracked the first time I took it off and put it back on. I am also much more careful when using it, the plastics just seem thin.

Like I said earlier I like the saw so I am not bashing it, just stating my observations. The increased power, light weight and nice handling were trade offs I was willing to try.

gg

Wow, close weight and the 550 looks smaller in the third photo.

"The 550 is not the same standard as the 420."
Not the same standard? I'd have to disagree... The plastic is no thinner or cheaper in the Husky.

I've never broken a top cover clip on a Husky since 2001. Get that replaced under warranty.

"The 550 is not the same standard as the 420."
Not the same standard? I'd have to disagree... The plastic is no thinner or cheaper in the Husky.

I am not loyal to only one brand. Like I said, I am not bashing the 550xp, I like it but there is a difference.

It is hard to understand unless you have them side by side.

gg

My weights vary slightly...my 421 has a 16" 3/8lp and my 550 has an 18" 3/8 Tsumura light & tough bar

I decided to buy a Husqvarna 550xp to move up in power a little over my Dolmar 420. I like the power increase of the 550xp very much so far. I did not do any timed video cuts to post but I did take pictures side by side and also have weights of both saws ready to cut.

Both saws had full fuel and bar oil.

The Dolmar 420 has a 16" prolite bar with .325 chain.

View attachment 392116

The 550xp has a 18" Husqvarna laminate bar with standard .325 chain.

View attachment 392117

Now for a side by side. It is surprising how much wider the 420 is. The other main difference I notice is in the hand separation. The 550 puts hands placed farther apart. The hand placement on the 420 almost felt odd after running the 550.

View attachment 392119

I like the power and handling of the 550 so much I have already sold the 420...

The big question is going to be durability. The 550 is not the same standard as the 420. One of the plastic clips that holds the top cover down was cracked the first time I took it off and put it back on. I am also much more careful when using it, the plastics just seem thin.

Like I said earlier I like the saw so I am not bashing it, just stating my observations. The increased power, light weight and nice handling were trade offs I was willing to try.

gg

Thanks - and no surprices at all there, at least not to this member....

My vote in the 50cc class is definitely the 550. Its become my all around go to saw for most everything I cut for firewood, excluding the occasional Biggin. My sil has a tree service and runs only Dolmars including the 420, but he's really starting to sweat my little 550 the more he sees it run.

Now my Dolmar 5105 it was set up with a 16" Dolmar bar with 3/8ths chain.

Full fuel and bar oil,

16.30 lbs

gg

Dolmar 5105, 16" bar 3/8ths chain, easy start, cat muffler, full fuel and bar oil
image.jpg

Dolmar 5105 with easy start, 16" bar
Husqvarna 550xp, 18" bar

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back