Husky 550XP - Where's the sweet spot in 20" Bar and Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to take my 550XP up to 20". Where's the sweet spot in bar and chain? Most of my cutting is soft west coast wood and I love the current balance, handling and power of this saw but would like a little more reach. If I go with a Oregon Speed Cut lightweight bar and narrow kerf chain would that compensate for the tradeoff in power, weight and balance of moving to 20"? Any other suggestions?
I've always ran exclusively 20" .325 on my 50 cc saws....they pull em just fine.... I would probably never run anything shorter on a 50cc saw.

I run a Sugihara VH2U-0J50 on my 550XP (original version) that I picked up on ebay. (20", .325, .050, 78DL, K095 mount).
The balance is very nice and the weight is similar to (less than?) a solid 18" bar.
I appreciate the longer reach and lighter weight as I am getting older.

This is my "do all" saw, primarily used for firewood production. I do have a top handle Echo but it is seeing less duty other than one handed cutting.

My 550mk2 came with a 20 in bar. It came with the sp33g chain and that’s all I’ve used on it for a few years. I’ve ran the p*** out of this combo and love it. I really like the x cut chain in general and I use it on everything I have.

I run a Sugihara VH2U-0J50 on my 550XP (original version) that I picked up on ebay. (20", .325, .050, 78DL, K095 mount).
The balance is very nice and the weight is similar to (less than?) a solid 18" bar.
I appreciate the longer reach and lighter weight as I am getting older.

This is my "do all" saw, primarily used for firewood production. I do have a top handle Echo but it is seeing less duty other than one handed cutting.
Thanks, I'm going to do the same thing.

Latest posts

Back