Double D carb tool that works with Makita 6421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfast250

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been lurking for quite some time, but first post. Thanks in advance for the time, content, and knowledge you all share on this site!

I bought a used Makita 6421 from Home Depot after considering various options and my budget. The saw is great, but I am having a hard time adjusting the carb. I have a poor quality double D adjustment tool from Amazon, but it does not fit well. The same kit has a single D and it doesnt fit well either.

Does anyone with one of these saws (or its Dolmar equivalent) have a specific adjustment tool that they can confirm will fit properly?

Yes, I know some will say to dremel slots, but thats not what I am looking for at this time. I have read some posts indicating the adjustment tools may need to be modified a bit to fit better. I have tried this, but I am still not happy with the fit/feedback to confidently adjust the carb.

Thanks for your help!

My 6400 has a single D L-speed & flathead driver H speed. The 6401 may be different. Sometimes the cheap non OEM carb drivers from China are not a perfect fit and need a little opening up to fit over the carb needles. I just use a either a 5/32 chainsaw grinding rotary stone or burr on a Foredom. If you have a double D you may have the wrong driver, it could need the single D.

Thanks for the help. I will check it again tonight. Any tips to be sure about the type of driver? I was thinking a magnifying glass might allow me to see it.

Anyone aware of Makita/Dolmar using anything other than single D, double D, flathead? Is there a chance its micro single/double D?

Latest posts

Back