Dying new oak? Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Taylor

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently planted a "kindred spirit" hybrid oak, mainly for it's unique max size of 35 feet x 6 feet.
I planted this tree two days ago.

I dug a good size hole, 2-3+ times the rootball. It has fresh compost/tree branded soil surrounding it. I have kept it well hydrated. The rootball is exposed, with no mulch touching the trunk.

As you can see in the link, I am quite worried that it is dying already.

https://imgur.com/a/34WNOgx

The leaves have almost all started turning completely yellow, or at least the outside of the leaves is getting yellow.

It almost looks like the early phases of my buckeye leaves getting leaf scorch.

I am in Ohio - normal weather here for this time of year is highs in the low 70s, lows in the 50s.

For the last two days, today, and the next six days are all scheduled to be 85+ degrees high and high 60s at night.

Is the weather going to kill my tree? Can I save it?

It is in almost full sun.

I put a t shirt over the entire thing (white athletic type material) that I am periodically moistening to try to screen out some of the sun.

The tree gets full sun from 8a-2p, then from 5p-7p or so.

What do you all think?

At worst I will spend another $50 if this one dies, and plant another in a few weeks, but I would like to do everything I can to save it.

Thank you!!

I don't see anything too concerning there. transplant shock. Fall dormancy. Maybe some Oak lace bug caused some of the tiny spots (would also cause those to loose color).

When you took it out of the container, did you shave off the outside of the root ball? https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/shave-prune.shtml

And +1 for moving that out just a little. Don't think you need to be 20'...but hold a yard stick at the base - even if it is only a 3' radius, it is going to hit the deck, right?

Back