Need advice for Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rar123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have an elm tree that was planted 6-7 years ago, and it has lost several limbs in storms this spring/summer. The most recent limb fell on saturday, and a large middle section of our tree is now gone. The spot where the limb attached to the tree looks decayed, but the tree looks healthy overall. We have had really high winds this spring, with several hours of wind gusts at 50-60 one day in April. Those winds tore shingles off our roof. I'm not sure if maybe that caused the limb to crack a little and it has slowly decayed and weakened? Or I don't know if decay is caused by disease??? I have contacted arborists, but with widespread storm damage, they aren't taking non-emergency calls right now. The non-emergency wait list for one company is 8 weeks. However, our area was ok, and trees in our neighborhood are fine, except for ours. I am wondering if there is anything we can do while we wait for an arborist to look at it? We really, really want to save the tree. It perfectly shades our back porch from evening summer sun, and sentimentally attached as well. Thank you!

IMG_5220.JPGIMG_5215.JPG

It's best for you to do nothing. An arborist will most likely make a clean cut below the storm damage tear out. You'll end up with a bushy maple with no central leader.

I agree. Do nothing. Cleaning up the cut MIGHT help lessen splitting or rot… but really the branch wound is too big to ever really heal. That area will rot more over time. Doesn’t look to be a very large tree and not large enough or close enough to any structures to be of a concern in my mind. So I would just enjoy the tree as is for whatever life it has left.

And ya, looks like a Maple, maybe a red maple.

Latest posts

Back