Elm Yellows

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NASHVILLE

Diseased trees to be removed from the Hill Center in Green Hills

by: Brittney Baird
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 / 08:17 AM CST
Updated: Feb 19, 2024 / 08:17 AM CST

“Soil tests and reviews by arborists were conducted in the summer of 2021 when the trees were initially noted to be in decline with no conclusive determination of the cause,” said Kim Hawkins, ASLA, a founding principal of landscape architecture and planning firm, Hawkins Partners, Inc. in a release. “We continued monitoring the trees throughout 2022 and in September 2023, following the death of several of the elms, we conducted additional diagnostics and the affected elms tested positive for Phloem Necrosis.”

Is is common for this disease to suddenly appear i mature trees?

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/t...rces/elm-yellows-candidatus-phytoplasma-ulmi/

"The phytoplasma which causes elm yellows disease can be spread by insects such as leafhoppers, and by the movement of infected plants. Spread from infected trees by natural means is unlikely during the winter, when trees have no leaves and insect vectors are not active."

"The only known treatment is to destroy infected trees before the disease can spread to healthy trees."

Is is common for this disease to suddenly appear i mature trees?
It's not very common and typically pops up in patches every ten years or so when weather conditions or high population of leaf hoppers are around.
Ash yellows is similar and was more of a problem in the past. EAB has made Ash yellows of little concern. I've only seen one case of it in the last ten years. Prior it was more prevalent. Trees with yellows can have a "minty" smell when cut or chipped. I'm not sure why.

Back